The blog world is aglow with beautifully curated gift guides for the men, women and children in your lives. I’m doing things differently though, because that’s how I roll. Having been a single mom for the better part of six years, there is no shortage of things on my wish list come the holidays (or let’s face it, any time). I thought I would go beyond the typical gift guide of popular items to give you some ideas that would go really far for that single mom in your life.
Being a parent isn’t easy, especially when you’re doing it solo, regardless if you have full custody or shared. Our focus is always on our kids and we often put ourselves dead last. So here’s some things that would greatly benefit that mama who’s doing it all on her own:
- Bath products from her favourite shop (Lush, Rocky Mountain Soap, Saje) and maybe a bottle of wine for her to enjoy at the same time
- Send her to the salon. We will take our kids for haircuts and ignore our split ends and grown out roots for years. Find out where she gets her hair done and gift her some services.
- Spa day. Hair cuts are expensive enough, let alone a massage, facial, or pedicure. Find out which services she prefers and send her on a guilt free spa trip.
- Dinner delivery. Cooking gets exhausting day after day and no doubt would a hot meal delivery be welcomed. Especially if you stayed to enjoy it with us. Alternatively, a dinner out while someone watches the kids would be great too. Even just a gift card for Skip the Dishes to save for the emergency don’t feel like cooking days.
- Wine/beer/coffee always because mom life is hard and sometimes we just need our vices to survive.
- Gift cards for clothes because usually we buy for our kids first. Bonus points for undergarments because we really don’t think about buying those items for ourselves.
- Passes for our gym, yoga studio, or fitness facility. Sometimes we sacrifice a lot to pay for these so we can maintain a little bit of self care and helping us out with those costs would allow us to spend money on other things.
- Same goes for child care. It’s an expensive cost and helping out with a month or even a few weeks would go a long way.
- Cleaning services. We might be able to maintain a base level of clean and tidy, but there is no way we are deep cleaning our homes between full time work and mom life. A few hours of someone coming in to dust the light fixtures, scrub the greasy finger prints off the walls would be a lifesaver.
- A family photo session. Good quality photographers aren’t cheap any more and it’s not always easy to capture a mama with her child over the years. She’s usually the one behind the phone camera snapping pictures. Treat that mama to a beautiful photo session with her kids.
What are some of your go-to gift ideas for the moms in your life?
Or moms, what kinds of things are on your wish list?