Every year I think about curating a fun local gift guide for you and every year the holidays sneak up on me far too quickly to get it done. It’s happened once again but I figured the next best thing was to point you in the direction of the best locally owned places in Red Deer to do your holiday shopping. Admittedly, I’m having a hard time comprehending that the holiday season has descended upon us already but I know that if I wait until I’m feeling the spirit of the season, it will be too late for this post. I mean, some of you have already crossed everything off your list and are kicking back watching Hallmark movies with your rum and eggnog.
I’m a huge believer in supporting local business for many reasons. Our local business owners work hard to provide for their communities, bring unique products and services that you can’t find from a larger corporation, creates character in the community, provides exceptional customer service, creates more jobs, invests in the community and more. A lot of local business owners go out of their way to get to know their clients and customers, which is a special touch that makes your buying experience that much better. Why wouldn’t we go out of our way to support these businesses in our community?
While you’re shopping for your loved ones this season, consider supporting these local shops:
- Craft Beer Nation – a family owned craft beer store for the beer lover in your life. Fill up with something tasty from the growler bar to take to your holiday parties or put together a basket of goodies from the wide selection of craft beers. They even carry a selection of craft sodas for the non-beer drinkers in your life.
- The Bra Lounge – If you’ve got a wife, mom, sister, aunt, daughter on your list, this is a place you’ll want to hit up. Not only do they carry quality under garments, but lush pajamas and other gift ideas as well. Pick up some lounge wear or a gift card for the special lady in your life to enjoy a private fitting.
- Alta – One of my favourite clothing boutiques in downtown Red Deer carrying trendy casual wear, shoes, hats and more for both men and women. Their selection is so great, I have to actively avoid going in for fear of going bankrupt. If you’ve got a trendsetter on your list, you’ll definitely want to check this place out. Maybe treat yourself while you’re at it.
- Pink Society – Another clothing boutique for the ladies, chock full of beautiful pieces
- Salon Wild – Who couldn’t use a new do? Salon Wild is doing fantastic things offering services with toxin free products, creating a super chill, holistic vibe. Pop in and stock up on hair products or a gift certificate for a service. Don’t forget to get pats to Olive, the shop dog.
- Stella Beans – a local cafe with the best donuts in the city. They often host a high tea event that would make the perfect gift experience for a group of friends, your mom, aunt, sister or daughter.
- Dose Coffee – You won’t find a better cup of coffee anywhere else in the city. With two locations to choose from, grab a gift card, some beans, and maybe a reusable mug for the coffee lover on your list.
- Breathing Room Yoga Studio – Give the gift of yoga to anyone on your list. They have classes for all ages, from prenatal, moms and babies/toddlers, kids, tweens and teens, seniors and everyone in between. They’re also offering specialty passes for teachers.
- Calyx Floral Design – For the plant lovers in your life! Calyx not only creates beautiful flower arrangements, but their shop is the perfect place to find new, beautiful house plants to add to your indoor spaces.
- Pureearth Organics – An organic grocery store might seem like an odd place for Christmas shopping, but there are tons of gift ideas to be found. From supplements, to essential oils, waste free items to exported treats, there is something for the environmentally friendly guy or gal on your list. Truly a hidden gem in Riverlands, located next to Dose Coffee.
There are truly a ton of great places to check out in our city. Hopefully you can find some great gifts while showing some local love.
Please note: this post is not sponsored in any way. Just giving a genuine shout out to some fantastic peeps.