We are a full week into 2018. How’s it going so far? I’ve spent the last week wondering what kind of goals I want to set for myself and I’m having the hardest time. Last year I set three main goals and five separate fitness goals for the year. This year I just can’t land on anything specific that I want to accomplish.
One of my co-workers challenged us all to come up with a word for the year (also something my good friend Ange does annually) and that is something that came pretty easily to me. I’ve decided to let go of specific goals and instead base this next year on my word. First, let’s do a quick recap of my 2017 goals!
- Condo improvements – I intended to start updating some things in my condo over the year to get it ready to sell in the coming years. I didn’t actually complete this goal, because I ended up listing my condo in the summer and selling it by the fall. So I guess in that sense, this goal is complete! Check.
- Get my group fitness certification through Canfit Pro – Getting my fitness certification has been something I’ve wanted to do for several years now. Since starting my “Where to Workout in Red Deer” series, I’ve really come to realize how much I truly love fitness and want to share that passion through instruction. While I did not manage to do my group fitness training, I did become a certified Pound Pro and have started teaching Pound fitness. I do eventually want to get my group fitness certification and expand my knowledge, but I’d definitely still call this a win. Check.
- Run/Survive my first half marathon – I ran SeaWheeze in August. It wasn’t the greatest race, but I crossed the finish line and that’s really all that matters. Check.
- Finishing my first half marathon – This one is an obvious overlap, but it was such a big accomplishment! Check
- Run a new-to-me race – This did not happen. With a limited budget, I stuck to local races I’ve already done and SeaWheeze. I’d still love to run the Rocky Mountain Soap Run in Canmore or Red Deer’s Harvest Run though.
- Summit a mountain – It always seems that summer flies by too fast and I don’t get to hike as much as I’d like. I did make it this happen though when I climbed Ha Ling Peak. Check
- Try something new – I always love trying new fitness classes and this year I got to try a couple new classes as well as a ton of new facilities while I continued working through my Where to Workout in Red Deer series. This year’s new classes were Buti Yoga and Garuda! Check
- Handstand – This was a repeat goal from previous years but I still have not made it a priority to practice.
So, what does my 2018 look like?
I want to be intentional about everything I do day to day.
I want to teach more Pound and inspire people through fitness or my personal experience on my blog.
I want to purchase more ethically made, timeless pieces of clothing instead of continually buying cheap, trendy clothing that doesn’t last.
I want to continue using toxin-free beauty products and keeping my home as chemical free as possible.
I want to mindlessly scroll through social media less and read more books and drink more tea.
I want to go on more adventures with Liam, do more snowshoeing, more hiking, climb more mountains.
I want to workout at home more and eat healthier food that helps me feel better.
I want to do more yoga, meditate and journal more.
I want to spend more nights sitting around the kitchen table laughing with friends.
So there you go. I’m not going to spend the year working towards one thing in particular, but instead, work every day to lead an intentional life.
Do you make new years resolutions or goals for the year?
Do you have a word?