Where to Workout in Red Deer
Summertime is officially here. For some of us, that means escaping to air conditioning to stay cool during our workouts, but for others, it means embracing the sunshine while we have it. We thought we’d take a break from the traditional gyms and fitness studios to highlight the beautiful and free outdoor workout spaces our city has.
About Red Deer’s Outdoor Gyms
There are ten outdoor gyms located throughout our city. They were created in partnership with the Red Deer Primary Care Network to promote active living amongst the city residents. Each gym features 12 machines, designed to use your body weight as resistance and are good for all adults regardless of fitness level or body type.
These machines allow you to get a full body workout incorporating flexibility, mobility, cardio and strength movements. I’ve heard some people say they’ve never used the outdoor gyms because they don’t know how, but each machine has clear instructions on how to safely and properly use it.
You can request an Outdoor Gym Experience for a group of four or more people through the Primary Care Network where someone will meet you at your outdoor gym of choice to lead you through a workout.
- Barrett Park – 4725-43 St. (next to Kinex Arena)
- Bower Place – 460 Barrett Drive
- Glendale Park – Glendale Blvd at Greig Dr
- Johnstone Crossing Community Health Centre – 105 Jennings Crescent
- Mountainview Sunnybrook Community Activity Centre – 4316 – 32 Street
- Oriole Park – 5204 Kerrywood Dr.
- Red Deer Primary Care Network – 5130 – 47 Street
- Riverside Meadows Community Activity Centre – 5616 Kerry Wood Drive
- Rosedale Community Activity Centre – 2 Rowland St
- Victoria Park – Allan St at Ayers Drive
What I Loved Most
I love how accessible these gyms are. They give anyone and everyone the chance to workout at absolutely no cost, although it would be weather dependent. You can easily modify your workout however you please, whether you just follow the machines as advised or if you add in other body weight movements in as well. As a bonus, the gym we visited had a community orchard next to it! There really are some cool initiatives in our city that encourages healthy living, what’s not to love about that!?
For More Information