5 Family-Friendly Things to Do This Summer in Red Deer
Can you believe the first day of summer is here on Tuesday!? It feels like it’s taken forever to get here and I couldn’t be more excited. I’ve been filling my wish list with tons of things to do while the days are long and the weather is warm and wanted to share some things that you could add to your summer bucket list with your family.
- Spend the day at Bower Ponds. This is a favourite hangout spot for us in any season, but the summer months boast tons to do. They rent paddle boats, canoes, kayaks, water balls, surrey bikes and long boards, phew! Have a picnic or indulge in their café offerings which feature Chedda Heads sandwiches and Wild Brewing Kombucha on tap. There’s also a huge playground for the kiddos to spend hours upon hours. Check it out in the evening for a walk around the ponds or pop into the games room. I told you they had tons to do there!
- Visit the newly updated Discovery Canyon. This summer feature was missed last year but is set to open mid-June. The free family play area at Riverbend Golf Course features natural, river-fed water features for tube floating and wading. They’re also opening a new nature playground set to open this fall. Pack a picnic and spend the day in the sunshine.
- Yoga in the Park is always a summer favourite. Join The Breathing Room Yoga Studio every Monday and Wednesday for free yoga at Kin Canyon. Bring the kiddos along for their own free yoga class on Mondays. The nearby playground, water park, and picnic areas mean you can plan a full evening to tire those kiddos out while filling up on all the delicious sunshine filled yoga vibes.
- Discover nature at Ellis Bird Farm. Located just outside of Lacombe, it’s a beautiful spot to walk the bluebird trail, check out gardens and pond, and see the largest collection of bluebird boxes. We really enjoyed our visit out to the farm last year with friends. While you’re in the area, stop in for a treat at Sweet Capone’s or indulge in some fun kid-friendly drinks on the Cilantro and Chive patio for lunch or dinner.
- Spend a rainy day at the Alley Cat Café. If you have a cat lover in your life, this is the perfect place for you. Enjoy latte before heading into the cat room to play with and cuddle all the little cuties up for adoption. I’m not to blame for any spontaneous cat adoptions. 😉
What’s one of your favourite summer activities in Red Deer?
What’s on your summer bucket list this year?
Related: 5 Things To Do This Spring