Where to Workout in Calgary
I joined the Blog Squad in Calgary to try my hand at barre again. Jen and Ange are regulars at the Barre Body Studio in Ramsay and were excited to show the rest of us why they love the studio so much. We were treated to a private class led by our instructor Lanette that had our muscles burning and the sweat dripping. And to think someone said before class, “Don’t worry, you don’t really sweat in barre”. Want to check it out yourself? Enter to win a free class or get a discount code at the bottom of this post.
About Barre Body Studio Calgary
Barre Body is a boutique studio with locations in both Calgary and Edmonton. We visited the Ramsay location, which was easy to find and had ample parking. The studio was bright and clean, with large secure lockers to store all of your belongings during class at no cost. Showers and change rooms are available with hair dryers, deodorant, hair ties and other amenities you might need after a sweaty session. Their reception area features retail area including BBS swag, apparel, and accessories, including the necessary grip socks.
This particular studio has two different classrooms, although I didn’t see the other one since there was another class in session. The room we were in had gorgeous exposed brick giving it character (and excellent photo backdrops).
Photo Cred: Laura
About the Classes
BBS offers a few different class formats.
- Barre Body Fit – the original, one-hour barre class that targets all area of the body. Each class begins with a warmup, an arm series, barre work and cardio bursts at the barre with a floor segment on mats to finish off the class.
- Barre Press – a compressed version of Barre Body Fit for when you’re in a hurry
- Barre + Core + Stretch – Similar to Barre Body Fit, this class swaps out the cardio bursts for more focus on the core. You’ll spend 20 minutes at the barre, 20 minutes on the mat and 20 minutes stretching it all out.
- BBS Bangin’ Backside – The name says it all. This class focuses on sculpting that booty and hamstrings and strengthening your back.
- Mommy and Me – a post-natal barre class for mamas to wear their babes during through the workout.
Classes are designed for all levels, so don’t be intimidated to give it a try if you’ve never done barre before.
- Single drop-in: $25
- 1-month intro: $65
- Tribe monthly membership: $145
- 5 class pass: $112
- 10 class pass: $195
- 20 class pass: $390
The Tribe membership includes 10% off retail, the front of the line for waitlisted classes, book your spot at the barre in advance, one free master class per year, two free guest passes per year, one free vacation hold.
What to Wear/Bring
You’ll want to wear athletic or dance wear that’s comfortable and easy to move in. Grip socks are required and if you don’t have any, they sell them at the studio and rent out loaners for $1 (proceeds to charity).
What I Loved Most
While barre isn’t my favourite type of workout, I loved how pretty this studio was and how friendly, welcoming and laidback the staff was. We were led through a great class that not only had us sweating and shaking at the barre but giggling away as well. I would definitely visit this studio again during a trip to Calgary (and have a feeling that Ange will drag me back next time I stay with her).
For More Barre Body Studio
The Fun Part
I’m giving away two 1-class passes over on my Instagram page!
If you don’t win but you’re interested in trying out Barre Body Studio in Calgary, they are offering $10 off either a 10-class pass or 1-month new client intro using code BEX10!