Snapchat Was Ruining My Self Esteem

March 10, 2017

I was an early adopter of Snapchat and after using it on and off for a few months ended up loving it. I built up a decent sized following and loved sending snaps to my friends, sharing clips of daily life, and playing with the filters and geofilters.

I think Snapchat is a super fun tool to use to show the un-curated side of life since most of what we see on the internet is highly curated and made to look a certain way. Snapchat allows businesses to show what their world looks like behind the scenes, and for everyday people to share their sillier sides. With the introduction of the filters, though, suddenly Snapchat didn’t feel as authentic and it started to mess with my self-image.

Who doesn’t love swiping through those filters every day to enhance our selfies with flower crowns, airbrushing and puppy dog faces? The more I used Snapchat, the less I started sending ‘real’ selfies. They were all filtered, enhancing my features and making me feel even more pretty with every snap. Soon I went from the occasionally filtered photo to not being able to send a selfie without a filter overtop. That airbrush filter, though, amirite?

When I started to hate the ‘normal’ selfies I was taking on my iPhone without the addition of the Snapchat filters, I realized I had a problem. I wasn’t happy with the way I looked. My skin looked dull, my face seemed fuller, and I would scrap every single selfie I tried to take because I didn’t like how I looked in them. Then I’d go back to Snapchat, swipe to that airbrush filter and feel better about the image on the screen.

Around this time I was also noticing that I was spending way too much time on Snapchat, watching people’s stories, catching up with the Global stories and articles and all around just wasting heaps of time. I’d had enough.

For the last few months, I haven’t been using Snapchat and have escaped from the filters that were making me feel like I wasn’t good enough just the way I am. I’ve stopped wasting time scrolling through stories, taking useless selfies for friends, and reading all the useless nonsense found in all of the additional content.

It frustrates me to know that I let some stupid app change my own perception of myself and frustrates me even more that it’s probably contributing to similar body image issues in the younger generations that are more prominently using this app. As a woman who stands up for positive body messaging and breaking beauty standards, I can’t support an app that makes women feel they aren’t beautiful enough without being airbrushed.

Instead, I’ll take those unfiltered selfies and love the natural face looking back with its dark circles, forehead lines and imperfect skin, without the airbrushed makeup and flower crowns. I’ll use Instagram stories to share my uncurated life and I’ll say see ya later to Snapchat forever.

Kaella On The Run
    March 10, 2017 at 9:04 am

You are beautiful friend! I don’t use snapchat very much either. I mainly use the silly filters with London for laughs (and that’s not very often anymore!) Keeping being YOU!

March 10, 2017 at 4:56 pm

Thanks friend. <3

Ashley
    March 10, 2017 at 9:14 am

Just here to remind you that you’re perfect the way you are. Snapchat is ridiculous and I feel like it’s such a waste of time, too. I do not need to see 100 pictures of girls with dog faces. You are beautiful. Have a beautiful Friday.

March 10, 2017 at 4:57 pm

Thank you!

Jen @ pretty little grub
    March 10, 2017 at 9:36 am

I love this Becky. I hate, hate, hate airbrush filters. When I see people post those selfies I think NO, that’s not you. Show me who you really are. We all have wrinkles. We all have dark spots on our skin. And the more we show those the better we all feel. Yes for celebrating our true selves and showing our full authentic selves to the world.

March 10, 2017 at 10:05 am

Too ironic, yesterday I realized I have not been on Snapchat for months and do not miss it at all – after all, it took me two months to even realize this! I used to have fun with it with Avery and the filters but I try hard to not let her play with my phone these days since that is another monster – anyways, I hear you on the filters and have had the same thoughts as you many times!
    You are truly beautiful and thank you for sharing this today πŸ™‚

Jeff
    March 10, 2017 at 10:20 am

Haven’t taken to Snapchat because it’s just one more sm platform to spend time on. However, the platforms I do use have interesting ramifications for self esteem both for myself and others. I find myself wondering why some of my posts have certain numbers of likes and others have less. Also, in my own, and in some of the accounts I follow, I am often reminded of what Dale Carnegie wrote many, many years ago about how everybody has a need to feel important and/or valued.

March 10, 2017 at 4:53 pm

Yes, social media as a whole is a bit of a game and popularity contest these days. It’s scary to think it has these kind of effects on us as adults and how that’s going to shape our youth who are even more emersed in the online world.

Ange // Cowgirl Runs
    March 10, 2017 at 10:59 am

It’s all too easy to get caught up in wanting to look “better” or “prettier” especially when everyone is doing it, too.
    I have cellulite, I have zits, and my eyebrows need plucking (for serious). None of those things are good or bad – they’re just facts and don’t take away from who I am (or who YOU are).

Rachel @ Better LIVIN
    March 11, 2017 at 8:31 am

I do love those filters! I always wonder what I can do in real life to get skin like that and realize it’s not real! Ha ha! Great post!

March 11, 2017 at 9:58 am

Loved this post! I can’t even imagine what it’s like for teenage girls nowadays, with access to all this technology and social media and constantly feeling like they can’t just be themselves. How sad and exhausting. I too, fall down the rabbit hole of wishing I had nice skin, didn’t look so tired, etc, but I feel like at least I’m in a good/content place in my life where I can snap out of that foolish way of thinking.

You are beautiful my friend!! Both inside and out. Never forget that! xo

Jen @nutcaseinpoint
    March 13, 2017 at 7:59 am

I think snapchat is more of a goofy tool but I have noticed a lot of people obviously use behind the scenes airbrushing tools before posting to Instagram! If I can NOTICE that you used it, then what’s the point?!!

March 14, 2017 at 9:34 am

Great post. You are a beautiful mama inside and out and no one needs those silly filters. I deleted snapchat too even though I never used it. I would hate to be a teenager these days, oh my gosh. I’m not going to lie, if there was a magic make up that took away my bag under my eyes I’d buy it – but I have 2 awesome kids that gave me those bags and a Mom and Gran who also have those bags so ya know! πŸ™‚ Genetics and kids.

March 14, 2017 at 6:40 pm

Thanks girl. I hear you about the magic to make the tired mama eyes disappear hahaha!