Music

Nostalgic Nights with Garth Brooks

February 20, 2017

I was raised on the country music’s greats like Garth Brooks and George Straight. I remember road trips with my parents listening to these classic cassettes from the backseat. Once I got to school and learned there was a whole other world of music out there, my tastes expanded greatly and no longer included country music. In fact, country music turned into my least favourite genre, except when it comes to those classic songs from my childhood.

Needless to say, seeing country music legend Garth Brooks has been on my bucket list for a few years now. I was devastated when I wasn’t able to get tickets to his sold out show in Calgary for Stampede several years ago and had hoped for an opportunity to travel to Vegas while he had his residency. When he announced a show in Edmonton a few months ago, I knew I had to find tickets somehow because there was no way I was missing out again.

Huge thanks to Ange, we had tickets secured in early December and the countdown to Garth Day was on. We arrived at Rogers Place in Edmonton bubbling with excitement but it wasn’t until the lights went down and the thousands of people in attendance starting screaming and cheering that it all set in for me.

20,000 people under one roof, singing at the top of their lungs to all of Garth Brooks’ hits together gave me goosebumps and tears at the same time. I was instantly taken back to all those car rides where I learned all the words to these songs, not knowing that I’d see the country legend take the stage 25 years later. The energy and passion Garth Brooks has for his music are unlike anything else you’ll ever witness. Even after playing a full show that afternoon, Garth ran around the stage with the energy of a twenty-year-old, playing all the hits, the songs that his fans came to hear.

And you can’t mention the Garth Brooks concert without noting the addition of his beautiful wife Trisha Yearwood. While she wasn’t as memorable from my childhood, I still managed to know all the songs she sang. But what stood out for me was the way Garth and Trisha gazed at each other and interacted on stage together. So clearly full of love for each other, it was just adorable and inspiring. And boy do they make beautiful music together.

Maybe you are one of the ones who didn’t understand the hype about Garth playing nine sold out shows in Edmonton this month. Maybe country music truly isn’t your thing. And that’s ok. But there’s something to be said about witnessing a musical icon who became etched into your heart from the earliest of memories on stage bringing back all the nostalgia.

Edward
    February 21, 2017 at 7:29 pm

I’ve never really been into country, as I was raised on classic rock but Garth is one of those artists that transcends genres. A solid songwriter with incredible presence. He’s on my bucket list for sure. Jealous you got to go but stoked it was everything you hoped it would be.

February 21, 2017 at 7:56 pm

An artist that not only transcends genres, but generations. I hope he comes back to Alberta soon.

Jen @ pretty little grub
    February 22, 2017 at 2:56 pm

Well said. I feel like everyone at least knows Garth Brooks songs.
    He also knows how to entertain! I’ve been to a lot of concerts and he is absolutely one of the best I’ve seen.

February 22, 2017 at 5:33 pm

Agreed – it’s amazing to see someone who really knows how to perform and entertain.

A. Parent
    February 23, 2017 at 8:52 am

Now if only the Kentucky Headhunters would tour through Canada!

February 23, 2017 at 10:59 am

Haha it’s not that I don’t understand the hype, I just don’t feel as passionately about going to one of his shows. That being said, I would for sure go to his show and I know I would love it (I love country music). Sometimes I think I’m just over big stadium shows in my old age hahaha!! That’s so great that his shows do not disappoint though! Isn’t it amazing how much energy and stage presence these older artists have?! We saw Collective Soul in Vancouver once (at a more intimate venue), and man, those old guys can entertain! Way longer and more entertaining show than a lot of younger artists we’ve seen.

February 24, 2017 at 1:07 pm

I will admit I don’t get the hype over his shows. I grew up in a small country town, but never listened to country music (and still don’t really). But it sounded like he put on amazing show!

February 27, 2017 at 6:38 pm

I guess because he’s such a legend and such a great performer. Even my best friend who doesn’t like country said it was an amazing show.

February 27, 2017 at 2:08 pm

I would LOVE to see his show. I am still kicking myself for not getting tickets!!! GAH. I love reading this post, I kinda felt like I was there. He’s so awesome and I love all the GOOD he does for country music and how well priced his tickets are, gives tickets away yada yada.

February 27, 2017 at 6:35 pm

Oh no! That’s too bad you didn’t get tickets. Don’t miss out next time!!