Hey, friends. How was the weekend? Get up to anything fun? Mine was pretty low-key. Liam went to his dad’s after his jujitsu class on Saturday and I spent the rest of the weekend being fairly productive, which is boring to talk about. I thought I’d pop in for the first “What I’m Loving” of the year. Do you guys like these kinds of posts? Should I continue with them or ditch them? Let me know in the comments.
- I know you’re all sick of hearing about the new year, goals and resolutions, but I have to say, I love the feeling of starting fresh once the calendar changes. I’ve been hit with a wave of inspiration and motivation and have been compiling a list of blog post ideas, writing, and crossing things off my to-do list left right and center. Any blog post requests? I love writing things you want to hear about, so let me know if there’s anything specific in the comments.
- My new 2017 Passion Planner has been helping with all of my planning. I have been using the same planner for four or five years now and wanted to switch it up. I’m beyond thrilled with my Passion Planner. If you haven’t picked up a planner for the year yet, highly recommend this one.
(They have a referral program where if you refer three people, you get a free planner. If you’re thinking of ordering, I’d love to be your referral source)
- See that pretty S’well bottle? It was a gift from Ange for Christmas and I am in love. My favourite colour plus mountains? It’s perfect. I’ve had no problem upping my water intake to flush out the holiday indulgences in this bottle. It’s also making me really want to go on a mountain adventure soon!
- Since yesterday was too cold for any outdoor adventures, I spent the afternoon in the kitchen doing some meal prep. I’m actually receiving an order from Chef’s Plate this week because I haven’t been motivated to cook since before the holidays. And then the motivation hit me. I had the Christmas turkey carcass plus turkey meat hanging out in the freezer, plus some squash and potatoes hanging out in the pantry from the summer’s vegetable share. I made three batches of soup to freeze for upcoming fast meals. I made a turkey noodle soup with homemade broth, which ended up being my best broth and ultimately soup to date. I’ve struggled to get my broth to taste right (I think I was using too much water), but this one was perfect. I also made a potato leek soup (from Thug Kitchen) and a pumpkin tomato soup from The Paleo Kitchen.
- I currently have two books on the go. Kids Are Worth It, which I will talk more about and why I’m reading it at a later date and Fishbowl by Bradley Somer, which I received for Christmas.
- Speaking of books, have you seen the 13 Books You Absolutely HAVE to Read Before They Become Movies in 2017? I’ve read exactly none of the books but there are a few that I’ll be adding to my ‘to read’ list.
- Know what else I’m loving? Winter beer season. Winter ales, porters and stouts are my favourite types of beer to drink and I stocked up on a bunch of new-to-me beer to try out over Christmas. They were all so good. Word of advice, be careful with that Fernie brew. It’s 8% and kind of sneaky. I may have gotten a little tipsy while playing cards with my family, haha!
And want to know what I’m not loving? Kindergarten registration starts today. If you need me, I’ll be over here crying about the fact that my baby boy will be starting school in nine short months.
What have you been loving (or, not loving) lately?