2017 Goals

January 3, 2017
res·o·lu·tion
rezəˈlo͞oSH(ə)n/ – a firm decision to do or not to do something.
goal
ɡōl/ – the object of a person’s ambition or effort; an aim or desired result

I always say I’m not the type to make resolutions come the new year because I find them to be too broad and unspecific. I like to make smaller, specific goals for myself that I can work towards from month to month. Whatever the definition, I love the feeling of opening a new yearly agenda and starting fresh with a new set of goals.2017-goals

The thing about resolutions or goals is that you never have to truly fail. I didn’t really reach all of last year’s goals. Some I rocked, some I fell short on and some had their ups and downs but they all came with their own learnings. This year I’ve decided on three main goals, which I will chip away at in small chunks every month.

1. Condo improvements – This is the heftiest goal for the year. I intend to paint the whole place (minus Liam’s room, which was painted last year) before potentially replacing or refinishing some furniture, updating some of the hardware (cabinet knobs, light fixtures, etc), etc as budget allows. If anyone with a good design eye has any advice, send it my way because I need all the help I can get in that department!
  2. Get my group fitness certification through Canfit Pro – Getting my fitness certification has been something I’ve wanted to do for several years now. Since starting my “Where to Workout in Red Deer” series, I’ve really come to realize how much I truly love fitness and want to share that passion through instruction.
  3. Run Survive my first half marathon – EEP! I’m registered for Seawheeze this year so I’ll be crossing half marathon off the bucket list.

What are you hoping to achieve in 2017?

January 3, 2017 at 7:13 am

You’re gonna rock that half marathon. I’d love to get my group fitness certification someday too. I just don’t know for sure what I would want to teach. I get bored easily.

January 3, 2017 at 8:34 am

Seawheeze was my first half marathon ever back in 2014. It’s a great weekend for it to be the first! I think I will probably have some small goals each month but my main goal is to stay healthy and run at a minimum 700km.

Ange // Cowgirl Runs
    January 3, 2017 at 9:21 am

Yay for SeaWheeze! I’m so excited for you 🙂

January 3, 2017 at 8:42 pm

I may die, but at least you’ll be there to rescue me lol

January 3, 2017 at 9:27 am

YAY – you’re going to make a wonderful group ex instructor! 🙂 HAPPY NEW YEAR!!! xoxox

Let’s hike/snowshoe together soon.

January 3, 2017 at 8:42 pm

Pick a day that works for you! I have every other weekend kid free OR if we meet in Nordegg, I can leave Liam with my parents in Rocky!

Lindsey Knudson
    January 3, 2017 at 1:42 pm

I agree, I love the start of a new year, so many possibilities ahead 🙂 You have a great year ahead and I cannot wait to go to Sea Wheeze with you!

January 3, 2017 at 8:41 pm

I can’t wait either! I’m glad so many of my friends are going!

Danielle @ Wild Coast Tales
    January 3, 2017 at 6:55 pm

I like idea of keeping it “simple” with 3 big but manageable goals! I tend to get carried away and make way too big a list. You’re going to be great in the half-marathon! The crowd support for Seawheeze is awesome.

January 3, 2017 at 8:40 pm

I had a bunch of goals last year and most of them I forgot about. Whoops.

I’m excited and nervous to run this half but I’m looking forward to the weekend experience!

Rachel @ Better LIVIN
    January 4, 2017 at 8:54 am

Yeah for Seawheeze! That was my first half last year and it’s so fun- you’re going to love it!

January 4, 2017 at 8:23 pm

Seeing all the blog posts over the last few years is what inspired me to make it my first!!

Ashley - Adventure To Anywhere
    January 4, 2017 at 9:09 am

I’m so stoked for you to run SeaWheeze! It’s the PERFECT first Half. You’ll just love it.

Also – when it comes to condo improvements, I found buying a few good design books for inspiration really, really helpful. I love Pinterest for this, too, but sometimes it can be so broad and you have to sift through so much crap. My favourite books are The New Bohemians (although pretty specific and might not be your style) and anything by Apartment Therapy. Actually the Apartment Therapy blog is great too.

Have fun girl! Looking forward to seeing you soon!

January 4, 2017 at 8:27 pm

Ooooh thanks for the tips girl! I’ll be checking those out! I have a general idea of the colour scheme I’m going for and will try and use the artwork that I already have because I can’t afford to buy a bunch of new things.

January 4, 2017 at 1:15 pm

This is a great list. I like the idea of 3 smaller goals that you can chip away at over the year. I always forget most of my goals when I have too many too. That’s exciting that you want to get your group fitness instructor certificate! Great idea! The idea has crossed my mind in the past, but I worry I’d be too shy :p YAY for Seawheeze!!

January 4, 2017 at 8:17 pm

I don’t know if I actually afford the certification because it’s freakin expensive so hopefully I can accomplish it! I feel like I’m pretty shy too so it would definitely be outside my comfort zone.