Thanksgiving Weekend Recap

October 11, 2016

I’m officially in a turkey coma after celebrating Thanksgiving with my family this weekend.

Weekend Recap

On Friday afternoon, snow starting falling in the city. I wanted to do nothing more than hibernate since it’s much too early in the year for snow in my eyes. After picking up my final veggie haul, I went straight home to turn on the fireplace and huddle under a blanket. I did some blog work while finishing Stranger Things on Netflix, and eventually retreating to bed to finish reading my book (Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children as per Brie’s Book Club).

Saturday
The Saturday before Thanksgiving marks the final farmers market of the year. Despite the lingering snow and cold, I bundled up and headed out. There weren’t many people or vendors that were willing to venture out and I can’t say I blame them! I was frozen by the time I finished and headed to pick up Liam. We had a bit of time to kill before a birthday party, so we headed to Starbucks for a coffee date.

img_7782

We spent the next few hours celebrating the second birthday of my best friends twin girls. It seems like just yesterday I was rushing out of the office to be by her side.

From there, we hit the road to my parent’s house. Liam was thrilled to have the afternoon to play in the snow. It’s really too bad that I don’t have a house with sidewalks for Liam to shovel because it’s his favourite thing in the world.

Liam woke me up by running into my room and yelling, “It’s still winter!”. It had snowed more overnight and was looking like a winter wonderland. I mean, it’s pretty and all, but it’s far too early. Liam couldn’t wait to get through his usual pancake breakfast and get back outside.

Meanwhile, I poured myself another cup of coffee and settled in with a book, which I ended up finishing after Liam was in bed that evening.

img_7784 img_7785

Between playing, reading and helping in the kitchen, our afternoon was fairly low-key before the four of us sat down for Thanksgiving dinner. I have to say, I’m incredibly thankful for the opportunity to spend the weekend with my family as I know many are not so lucky.

Our evening was spent playing games. I don’t think it’s a family holiday in my house until I start crying from laughing so hard.

Monday
Apparently on Monday morning, Liam came upstairs and asked his grandpa why the Christmas tree wasn’t up yet? He later told me that he didn’t want to leave Grandma and Grandpa’s until after Santa brought us our presents. I feel like it’s going to be a long couple months until Christmas hits!

Liam and I headed home in the afternoon, after spending the morning watching Zootopia. Liam was fast asleep when we got home and I ended up sitting in the car for half an hour until he woke up. I got started on some meal prep, making Laura’s stuffed acron squash and trying my hand at borscht for the first time. I’ve never even had borscht, let alone made it, so hopefully it turned out decent. I also really wanted to make some chicken pot pie, shepards pie and turkey soup, but alas, my child wanted dinner and frankly I was exhausted.

This week will be a busy one with birthday party prep as there’s only four more sleeps until a certain someone turns four years old!

Tell me one thing you’re thankful for this year!

Cassandra
    October 11, 2016 at 7:44 am

We have lots of sidewalk to share, Liam can come shovel anytime.

October 11, 2016 at 4:27 pm

Haha, I’ll let him know.

October 11, 2016 at 9:47 am

LOL – “It’s still winter!” Liam knows what’s up. All of this snowfall has me a little excited for Christmas and peppermint mochas!! 🙂

I’m thankful for everything in my life – the bitter and the sweet, but most importantly, I’d say my tribe of people. I have the best friendships and inner circle! 🙂

October 11, 2016 at 4:27 pm

Oh man, the snow sure was pretty but it could have held off just a little. I want to enjoy fall before winter and Christmas hits!

October 11, 2016 at 12:24 pm

LOL at Liam’s comments about Christmas. It really DID feel like Christmas though! I love that cozy feeling of being with family indoors on the holidays. But yes, much too early for snow!!

That’s pretty funny that you are making borscht even though you’ve never had it before! Be prepared for the haemorrhage in your toilet! Hahaha, TMI for the blog?! #sorrynotsorry Make sure you have sourcream/greek yogurt for on top – that’s my favourite part 😉

October 11, 2016 at 4:28 pm

Hahahaha, you’re hilarious. The borscht turned out pretty good! And yes, I’m always aware of that every time I have beet anything.

October 11, 2016 at 12:56 pm

It really did feel like Christmas this weekend! Not cool at all. Haha oh man, it’s going to be a long three months for Liam waiting for Santa. It’s cute that he understands Santa now though!

October 11, 2016 at 4:28 pm

Haha I’ll say its going to be awhile until Christmas. He’s forgotten his birthday and Halloween!

October 11, 2016 at 2:29 pm

It felt more like Christmas dinner for sure! Crazy snow, it can go now 😉 Avery asked me yesterday “is this winter?” – you would think so kid.
    LOVE borscht soup! My Mom makes it for me 🙂
    I am thankful for Miss. C coming into our family happy and healthy.

October 12, 2016 at 11:44 am

That’s a big no for me and driving in the snow. I’d be like, yup, sorry, Thanksgiving is cancelled, i’m in my pjs and not moving”. I however, can’t wait for a good excuse to bundle up, be warm, and read by the fireplace (and not go outside).