Weekend Recap

October 3, 2016

First of all, thanks for all the birthday wishes. I had a very full heart at the end of the day.

Weekend Recap

Thursday
Thursday was technically the start of my weekend since I had taken Friday off. Liam and I met Scott and Mary at Famoso for birthday dinner. Pizza and beer with some of my favourite people was the perfect way to celebrate. Afterwards, Liam and I went home for a birthday cupcake. 30 means buying your own cupcakes and lighting your own candle so Liam could ‘come to my birthday party’. He was a little wild at bedtime, go figure, but it was definitely worth it.

After dropping Liam off at the day home, I headed to Starbucks to meet Cassandra and enjoy my birthday drink. We had a good catch up before our other friend Clayton joined us and we were on the road to Lacombe. Our first stop was Sweet Capones for some of the much talked about cannoli. We shared four different flavours and they definitely lived up to the hype.

img_7713

From there we went for lunch at Cilantro and Chive. Since it was Alberta Beer Week, we shared a tasting flight and I indulged in the beer and bacon mac and cheese special. Oh man it was good.

Our third stop was suppose to be to the Blindman Brewery, which I still haven’t had a chance to visit yet but our poor planning meant we had over an hour until it opened. We decided to head back to Red Deer for a pint at Troubled Monk instead, since neither Cassandra and Clayton had been.

I picked Liam up from the day home early and we went shopping for a birthday gift before coming home for dinner. To be honest I’m having trouble remembering what the rest of our evening looked like, but I’m pretty sure I just crawled into bed with my book after Liam was in bed.

Saturday
We woke up to pouring rain and an all out miserable day. Liam had swimming lessons and we opted out of a market trip after to come home and hibernate. The gloomy day really sucked the energy out of me and I didn’t really accomplish much. Liam had a two-hour nap and I crawled into bed to read for the afternoon. Once he was up we were off to a birthday party for one of his day home buddies. All the boys ran around like wild animals before it was time to make our own pizza in the wood fired stove. It was some seriously delicious pizza, but maybe that’s because I made my own 😉

Liam was pretty thrilled that he got to stay at a party until dark, however I wasn’t too thrilled that it was nearly nine before he fell asleep. Again, I just headed to bed with my book.

Despite being up late, Liam was still up with the sun. Thank goodness the sun is rising a little bit later these days! We lazed around for the morning until his dad picked him up and then I was off to spend the day running errands. I did my best to get everything I need for his birthday party but it seemed to take forever.

I stopped partway through the day for a coffee break with a friend from out of town (hi, Rob!)

img_7725

I should have spent the rest of the evening cleaning, meal prep and running but abandoned it to veg on the couch and start Stranger Things on Netflix while folding laundry and writing this post.

And that wrapped up my birthday weekend.

What did you get up to this weekend?
What have you been watching lately?

Jen @nutcaseinpoint
    October 3, 2016 at 8:15 am

Oh man I wish I could’ve tagged along for your bday celebrations! I’ve wanted to go to that restaurant/breweries! We should plan something when I get back.

October 3, 2016 at 4:53 pm

YES PLEASE! I’m sorry for yelling but COME VISIT!

October 3, 2016 at 8:38 am

Sounds like a fabulous way to spend your birthday weekend! What is the theme and what are you doing for Liam’s party?

October 3, 2016 at 4:53 pm

Liam has wanted a dalmatian theme since he left his birthday party last year. And it hasn’t been an easy one to plan for. I rented a nearby community hall and will have a pinata and pin the tail on the dog, cupcakes and snacks. It will not be pinterest worthy but hopefully Liam will love it.

October 3, 2016 at 8:38 am

Why are coffee shops always the most beautiful places? And why I can’t they adopt me?

October 3, 2016 at 4:52 pm

Right? I wish Red Deer had more beautiful coffee shops like this one.

October 3, 2016 at 11:21 am

What a lovely, cozy weekend. I’m so glad you had a good bday, Becky! What was your bday cupcake flavour?!

October 3, 2016 at 4:51 pm

It was a chocolate stout using local beer!! Sooooo yummy.

Carmy
    October 3, 2016 at 2:48 pm

Happy belated birthday! That cannoli looks so good! And I totally miss being able to sleep late and get up early without struggling like Liam haha. Oh to be young again 😉

October 3, 2016 at 4:51 pm

Thank you!

And right? Kids don’t know how lucky they are :p

Ange // Cowgirl Runs
    October 3, 2016 at 4:46 pm

Your birthday weekend sounds amazing. And now I want a cannoli.

October 3, 2016 at 4:51 pm

Maybe when you come visit we can make a side trip for cannoli. And beer.

October 3, 2016 at 7:12 pm

Where is that coffee shop?! So pretty! I would totally run errands with you if I lived in the same city! I miss having a friend to do that with. How is Stranger Things? Jim was hesitant to start it, but next time we need a new show, I’d like to give it a try.

October 3, 2016 at 7:21 pm

That’s Dose downtown on Little Gaetz! We should have a coffee date there next time you’re in the city!

I watched the first two episodes of it and really liked it. It seems like it might get a little more sci-fi which isn’t really my thing…we’ll see.