Fitness Workout Reviews

Thoughts From My First Barre Class

August 10, 2016

Last week I finally got to try my first barre class. I love taking different fitness classes and experiencing new things when I get the opportunity. I thought I’d share the thoughts running through my head during the class:

• All of these girls look like dancers, I’m going to stick out like a sore thumb
  • Why is there no other option than 3lb weights?
  • Warm up time, lets do this
  • Wait, this is the warm up? It burns
  • Am I the only one suffering right now? This can’t seriously be just the warm up!
  • Thank goodness all that pulsing is done for now
  • Weights time!
  • This is a lot of reps
  • Omg it’s burning.
  • Is this set over yet?
  • I am so glad there wasn’t a heavier weight option
  • I think my shoulders are going to seize
  • I thought this class was called Booty Barre, why is there so much upper body weights
  • Seriously, it burns
  • Oh thank god that’s done
  • Standing in this position feels so unnatural
  • Why is pointing my toe so darn hard
  • I mean, I spent how many years dancing and being yelled at to point my toes and I still can’t do it
  • No wonder I got evicted from the troupe
  • This isn’t so bad
  • I can plié squat for days
  • Wait we’re doing what now?
  • Oh god this burns
  • I’m barely moving why does it hurt so bad
  • This music is too loud I can hardly hear the instructor
  • How much longer until this class is over
  • Does anyone else feel like their on fire?
  • I wonder if Mary hates her life like I do right now
  • The look on her face says yes
  • I’m really distracted by the studio door being open right now
  • Ugh why can’t I point my toe properly
  • Ok this booty shaking part I can do.
  • I’m trying so hard not to just bust into a full on booty shaking dance.
  • I hope we get to do that one again
  • I still can’t hear what she’s saying
  • I wish I would have eaten first, I’m starving
  • Oh the burning is back
  • Why does it feel like no time has passed
  • It would be really funny if I accidentally kicked Shannon in the butt right now
  • I feel like I’d get scowled at if I broke out laughing though
  • Everybody seems so serious
  • Oh man Mary looks pissed
  • Ow ow ow ow ow
  • Ooooh stretching thank goodness this is almost over
  • Ok this feels good
  • I wonder how much this is going to hurt tomorrow

I didn’t hate the class, but I can’t say that I loved the class either. I did like that it challenged my muscles in a new way and perhaps if I continued to go it would grow on me, but I’m not sure it captured my heart quite like OTF did when I tried it for the first time. I’m glad I experienced it and I still have a free pass for one more class so I may try again, but I won’t be rushing to get a membership at this particular studio anytime soon.

Tell me:
Do you love barre or is it meh for you?
Have you tried a new fitness class lately that just wasn’t your jam?

August 10, 2016 at 8:31 am

I’m sure you know I’m a big fan of barre. I wasn’t really taken by it the first time either but as I’ve continued to go my love has grown. I like that I feel stronger each time that I go and I know it’s such good cross training for running.

August 10, 2016 at 8:09 pm

Yeah I definitely think it deserves another chance. We’ll see!!

August 10, 2016 at 9:47 am

Not sure you convinced me to try it!! Lol.

August 10, 2016 at 8:08 pm

Hahahaha I’m a firm believer of trying anything once. The studio has a good deal for beginners though, $25 for a week of classes. If you ever want to check it out, I still have a pass for barre and piloxing.

August 10, 2016 at 10:12 am

Hahaha this is hilarious! Those 3lb weights are no joke, hey?! I really like barre, I just can’t really afford to go regularly. I did mommy and baby barre when Sully was 7 months old and that was a great workout! I think I’d like to find a way to go regularly right now while I’m pregnant – I think it would be a great workout since it doesn’t involve a tonne of cardio and the strength training would be good for me.I also wish there was a studio closer to me….

August 10, 2016 at 8:08 pm

Mom and baby barre would be fun I think! It’s definitely a good low impact workout.

Ange // Cowgirl Runs
    August 10, 2016 at 1:34 pm

You know I love barre. I feel like it’s something you have to go to a few times to really get the hang of it, but I can tell I’m way stronger after going regularly for a few months.

August 10, 2016 at 8:07 pm

I can definitely see where and how it would help build strength, especially for running.

August 12, 2016 at 3:05 pm

This cracked me up!! I had many of the same thoughts. I’ve only been to one class and liked it but didn’t love it to sieved the crazy $$$ it is.

August 12, 2016 at 8:38 pm

Haha! Is it crazy expensive there? I’m not sure how much it is regularly to be honest. I had 2 free passes and newbies can get a studio pass for $25 for a week.

Nicole
    August 22, 2016 at 2:54 pm

This was too funny and exactly how I felt!! Then when the pelvic thrusting started!! Dying!!

I wasn’t in love with it after my first class either. I think I’m going to give it a shot and try it a handful more times. I really enjoyed OTF as well.

August 22, 2016 at 7:56 pm

Let me know if you think it gets better!