Long Weekend Recap

August 2, 2016

Oh hi there August, where did you come from? I must say the long weekend was welcomed but went by far too fast as they always do.

Weekend Recap

I scooped Liam from the day home and we headed out to a nearby Upick farm to do some berry picking. We didn’t have much time before they closed, but we managed to hustle two pounds of strawberries into our basket. It was such a simple and fun activity. Liam loved hunting for “treasure” and surprisingly, didn’t eat any of the strawberries along the way.

IMG_6999 IMG_7003 IMG_7006

Once Liam was in bed, I finished a 22 Minute Hard Corp workout and settled on the couch with a cold beer to catch up on the latest episode of Suits. Anybody else watching? What do you think of the season so far? I don’t hate it, but I kind of miss old Suits.

Saturday
Liam was up bright and early as always. While he watched a movie, I took advantage of a cooler morning to make some apple crisp for breakfasts for the week. Before long we were off to the farmers market with friends. Liam indulged in his favourite kombucha, I picked up a bottle of cold brew from Blackbird Cold Brew out of Calgary and we shared a plate of our favourite European sausage and perogies. I love our farmer’s market.

From the market we headed out of town to Ellis Bird Farm with some Mary, Scott and his little girl. It was such a neat little space to visit and I’m sure Liam could have spent all day exploring the different paths and fishing for bugs and minnows in the pond. We will need to make more stops out there for sure. We finished off the day with lunch in Lacombe at Cilantro and Chive.

IMG_7013 IMG_7019 IMG_7022 IMG_7023

Liam fell asleep on the drive home so I ended up taking back roads to extend the trip. It was a pretty drive through Central Alberta. Liam woke up briefly when we got home and asked to go to his bed so he had a solid nap. I got in another 22MHC workout and then woke him up around 5. A storm was just beginning which ruined our plans of going out for ice cream and it was too late to hit up a movie, so we put on Lilo and Stitch and camped out on the living room floor.

The return of Sunday Runday! Mary and I haven’t been able to coordinate our schedules for the last few weeks which meant no Sunday morning run. I really missed them! We met at a nearby park and Scott watched the kiddos while we ran a quick little 4k. Once we were done, Liam wanted his turn to run with me so we got in a few metre repeats together before heading home.

IMG_7036 IMG_7040

I quickly showered and we headed off to grandma and grandpa’s house for the rest of the weekend. We spent the day playing outside, catching frogs, petting the horses, driving the tractor and reading Brie’s latest bookclub read (which I ended up finishing). Liam went to bed pretty quickly which left us battling it out playing Dutch Blitz (I’m hooked, anyone want to come over and play?).

IMG_7043 IMG_7045

Monday
It was a pretty lowkey day. I took advantage of having other adults around to entertain Liam and dozed in bed for an extra hour or so before getting ready for our standard pancake breakfast. The rest of the morning and early afternoon were spent hanging out with lots of playtime. Liam was fast asleep before we even hit the highway home.

His dad picked him up shortly after we got home and I headed out to pick a couple groceries, the latest pick from my other bookclub, threw some laundry in, finished a workout and some blog work. I would have much rather had a nap and curled up on the couch, but it feels so much better to start the week off prepared and organized.

And just like that, the long weekend was over. I’m still shocked it’s already August. Wasn’t it just like, March? My 30th birthday is two short months away, with Liam’s fourth birthday shortly after. It’s crazy how fast fall is sneaking up on us! I’m not ready!

How did you spend your long weekend?
Do you prefer summer or fall? I love the hot sunshiney days of summer, but fall is one of my favourite times of year too. Tough choice!

August 2, 2016 at 6:51 am

I want to get to Ellis next week! Love it there too.
    I must’ve missed you at the market, and where was that cold brew?!
    Fall. I do love summer but fall wins 😉

August 2, 2016 at 12:22 pm

You were probably at the market much earlier than us. The cold brew was right beside the kombucha!

August 2, 2016 at 7:28 am

I know I can’t believe it’s August either. I need to go to a u pick for some fresh strawberries!
    I love farmers markets too but it seems I’m always gone or busy on weekends and rarely get a chance to go.

August 2, 2016 at 12:22 pm

I’ve been itching to check out the Calgary farmer’s market for awhile now. We should plan a trip!

August 2, 2016 at 7:50 am

2 markets in London and I would do anything to not have to go to one on a weekend, so am so excited there’s also a Friday market for the summer! Going this week to check it out.

Regular weekend stuff, a little work, baseball, reading, netflix, and now sweet quiet time for the week.

As you know, no, I am not really enjoying this season of Suits nor have I loved it the last few seasons. I feel like I remember everything from S1-3 and have no idea what went on in 4/5. 1-3 was fun and sarcastic, and now everyone is mean and disgruntled.

August 2, 2016 at 12:22 pm

I feel you on Suits but I’m still intrigued with it. And I’ll never complain about the eye candy. Never.

August 3, 2016 at 8:38 am

true. I’m not even loving it but still watch each week because I need to know what happens; I just don’t watch with the same intensity that I did the first few. Actually, I watched 1-4 borrowed from the libs and maybe I liked it more because I watched it all at once? Whatevs, love Harvey.

Heather
    August 2, 2016 at 9:08 am

Sounds like such a fun weekend! I really want to go to one of those u-pick places. I’ve always loved picking berries for some reason. I love farmers markets too – there’s one near me every Wednesday that I usually go to and last week two of the vendors said “you’ve tried our stuff before.” I guess I’m a regular!

August 2, 2016 at 12:19 pm

I’ve never done U-pick before but we had a blast.
      I’m a regular at certain booths at our market. One being the European Sausage and deli where I’ve ordered a “surprise combo” of sausage and perogies almost every Saturday for the last 5+ years. The fellows that run the booth are so cute, notice when I change my hair and miss me when I miss a market day.

August 2, 2016 at 11:12 am

Ahh I want to take Sully to that u-pick place! I have a feeling strawberry season is over though…? There’s no strawberry u-pick place near Calgary. LAME. Sometimes I’m really jealous of all the cool things you guys have in Red Deer! That bird place seems cool too! Any idea how you are going to celebrate your big 3-0!?

August 2, 2016 at 12:17 pm

Yeah I was actually surprised we got as many strawberries as we did because their voicemail said they were done. I was hoping for raspberries but they pointed us to the strawberries instead. I think someone said there’s more in September so maybe you can plan to come back for that??
      I love how much there is to do in and around Central Alberta. But there’s tons of fun stuff in Calgary too!!

I have no idea what I’m going to do. I wanted to do the Calgary Brewery Tour, but I also want a weekend in the mountains or a night at duelling pianos. So many fun things, not enough time (or money) to do them all :p