Family

Family Vacation Recap

July 18, 2016

Last week I was a bit absent from the online world while my parents, Liam and I relaxed in Invermere, BC. We unfortunately didn’t escape the rain that has been putting a damper on summer, which meant it was a pretty low key week hanging around our rental. We did our best to get in some fun and take advantage of the sunny breaks. Here are some of the highlights:

• Fairmont Funtasia – a total tourist trap, but worth it to hear Liam’s screams of delight as he ran from animal to animal. Also, his first bumper car experience.
  • Fort Steele – a fun little historic town where we took a steam engine ride, a horse drawn carriage ride, indulged in ice cream and old fashioned candy, and chatted with the locals
  • Picnics and wildlife spotting – Liam loved helping pack the cooler and his backpack full of adventure gear, map in hand as we headed off in search of bears and sunshine
  • Spray park – the lake had a ‘swimmers itch’ warning, which was not something I wanted to potentially deal with so we avoided the beach and lake and opted for the splash park and various playgrounds instead
  • Stops at Arrowhead Brewing Company and Kicking Horse Cafe – because coffee and beer are staples in my diet
  • Liam offering to pay for dinner when he acquired some of Grandpa’s change
  • Teaching my folks how to play Dutch Blitz, which is my new favourite card game thanks to Brie
  • Almost peeing my pants laughing as my parents used Snapchat filters for the first time
  • Having a full week with my little man, without the demands of life, to just have fun and enjoy our time together. While the week may not have panned out exactly as we hoped, I am so glad that we had that time together where I could really see his personality shine. Liam is such a smart, funny kid, he constantly had us in fits of giggles. I’m so proud to be his mama, and wish we could have more days just like this week.

IMG_6692 IMG_6702 AMFD2729 IMG_6716 IMG_6732 IMG_6743 IMG_6753 IMG_6777
I’m back to reality today and wishing I could just be on vacation forever!

July 18, 2016 at 3:19 pm

Looks like you guys had a great holiday!

July 18, 2016 at 5:08 pm

Ohh Fairmont Funtasia and Fort Steele sound really fun! Sully would be all over the steam engine ride, lol. I’m glad I got you hooked on Dutch Blitz! Sucks about the lake though! At least there was a splash park! I wouldn’t want to risk swimmer’s itch either, ick! Glad you guys were till able to find some fun things to do, seems it was a crappy week of weather for everyone. And of course today, it’s scorching hot. Murphy’s Law!

July 18, 2016 at 7:24 pm

Sully would LOVE Fort Steele. It’s like a smaller version of Heritage Park I think. We went to Funtasia last year and it’s really not as great as you expect BUT Liam still loves feeding the animals and he loved Bumper Cars. They have mini golf too but it’s SO expensive that we opted out.

I couldn’t believe how packed the beach and lake was despite the swimmers itch. Like, I know it’s just a rash but still…GROSS.

Nicole
    July 19, 2016 at 10:18 am

What a fun vacation, minus the stinking rain!

I LOVE Dutch Blitz!! So much fun! Can we have a girls night/slumber party with card games and wine and beer? And I suppose a workout since that’s what we do.

The splash park looks like fun. I wish we had more of them in Calgary.

July 19, 2016 at 10:34 am

Too bad it rained nearly the whole time; but damn, a week of relaxation also sounds really nice.

July 20, 2016 at 3:23 pm

Despite the weather it looks like you guys had a lot of fun and adventures! At least it was not nice here too! I have heard other people that really liked Fort Steele too!