Weekend Recap

July 11, 2016

I ended up having an extra long weekend and had zero complaints about it. Truth be told, it was fairly low key and we didn’t get up to much which is just fine with me.

Thursday
We kicked off our morning by meeting Mary at the park. We had a lot of fun adventuring along the trails, pretending we were pirates and checking out the nature playground.

Before long, our tummies were growling so we all headed to Cool Beans for lunch. Liam was thrilled since it’s one of his favourite places to visit. It was a beautiful day to spend out on the patio while Liam played.

I actually convinced him to have a nap once we got home, which is an extremely rare occurrence outside of the day home. I ended up indulging in a nap myself, which was glorious. I had hoped to make a trip to Sylvan to check out their food trucks, but Liam decided he didn’t want to leave the house again so we ended up hanging out at home for the rest of the night. The highlight of the evening was when we went to take the garbage out and Liam beelined for a giant puddle in the alley. He was covered head to toe in mud, with boots full of water. I had to drag him into the house and straight into the bath before he ended up covering me with mud too.

We woke up and headed on the road to Calgary to spend the day with Liam’s bff. We haven’t seen them since February, which is far too long, so a visit was completely overdue. You’d never know the boys were apart that long, though, they picked right up as if they had just seen each other yesterday. Their friendship is truly incredible.

We spent the day playing outside, visiting the neighbourhood beach and having way too much fun.

IMG_6653 IMG_6654 IMG_6657

We should have planned to spend the night since one day just wasn’t enough! We headed home shortly after supper before the impending meltdowns began. Liam was asleep before we even hit the highway.

I was just as exhausted as he was after a day in the sun and should have gone to bed much sooner but I was determined to finish my book. Finish I did!

Saturday
Market day! We grabbed a coffee for me and Italian soda for Liam to sip on as we wandered around. We didn’t stay long before jetting off to the lake to have brunch with the fam. The forecast was calling for a rainy day, so I wasn’t fully prepared for a beach day but it’s hard to keep Liam away from the beach. Luckily, it ended up being decent enough to enjoy for a couple hours before we headed home. Liam fell asleep on the drive back to the city and I could not wake him up. I tried for about half an hour to wake him for dinner before moving him to his bed and hoping for the best.

I watched a few episodes of Gilmore Girls before having my first Google Hangout with Brie and Ange. So fun being able to video chat with the girls and I think this will have to be a new regular occurrence. We probably could have chatted all night, but I was so tired and scared of Liam waking up at 4am so headed off to bed shortly before 10pm.

We had some errands to run in the morning, which always takes 8 million years longer with a three-year-old than without. I didn’t come anywhere near being done before hunger called. We grabbed lunch at the mall before coming home. I convinced Liam to have a nap again which meant I had another nap too. Glorious! The rest of the day was spent doing laundry and watching Zootopia because we’re party animals.

And that’s a wrap on the weekend.

What did you get up to?
Any fun adventures or did you keep it low key?

July 11, 2016 at 7:17 am

Totally jealous of your google chat. I don’t even know how to do that but would love to chat next time too!
    That picture of Liam from the mud puddle is hilarious. Boys and their love of mud.

July 11, 2016 at 7:47 am

low key, extra long weekends are the best! did a lot of errand running, a little patio book reading, baseball watching. Fixed a cabinet and put up a bit of art. It was actually quite relaxing but I could use one more day.

July 11, 2016 at 8:49 am

Sounds like a great weekend! Liam and his little friend are so cute together 🙂 We’ve watched zootopia way too many times (it’s on the iPad and we put it on while cooking/driving for Amelia). It’s cute though 🙂

laura @ scribbles and sass
    July 11, 2016 at 9:01 am

naps are so fantastic! glad you were able to talk Liam into a few. your weekend sounds like a great way to relax and recharge.

Heather
    July 11, 2016 at 9:29 am

Low key weekends are so necessary sometimes! I definitely snuck a couple of naps in between activities this weekend too 🙂

Brie
    July 11, 2016 at 10:08 am

You still did a lot for a low key weekend! That mud puddle jump picture is hilarious!! And least it didn’t happen on your way out to go somewhere haha! Yay for naps! Sully wouldn’t nap at all this weekend and I’m praying that’s not his new norm! 🙁

July 11, 2016 at 10:14 am

Oh Liam – too funny with the mud puddle! Love the pic too 🙂
    I love Zootopia, we saw The Secret Life of Pets on Friday and its super cute too.
    Jealous of your nap, I was tired this weekend – I will blame the weather but just cannot nap, boo!

Kaella
    July 11, 2016 at 1:00 pm

The snaps of Liam jumping in the puddle were my absolute favourites!!! I love just letting kids be kids sometimes even if that means getting extra messy.

July 11, 2016 at 2:23 pm

Trying again since my comment got eaten 🙁

^^Somehow I missed the snaps of Liam jumping in the puddle?! But that photo is awesome! At least you weren’t on your way out somewhere when that happened, lol!
    Yay for naps! Sully refused to nap all weekend and I was not impressed lol. I am not ready to give up nap time yet!
    Have a great vacation!

Ange // Cowgirl Runs
    July 11, 2016 at 4:03 pm

Yes, Google hangouts totally needs to be a regular thing!!

July 12, 2016 at 1:11 pm

I just got back from a long weekend too, and although it wasn’t relaxing by any means, it was wonderful to be away from work.

Has it been super rainy in Red Deer all summer? Man, I feel like summer hasn’t even started here in the mountains. 🙁

July 17, 2016 at 6:56 pm

Yeah it has been rainy here too. I just got back from a week in BC and couldn’t escape the rain there either!! I need the sunshine to come back!

Nicole
    July 13, 2016 at 7:38 am

That picture of Liam covered in mud is awesome!! What is it with boys and puddles? Leo goes straight for them every time. He was splashing in one at the race on Sunday and his shoes were soaked. He didn’t care…

Google Hangout is so cool!

What lake did you go to in Calgary? Looks like the boys had fun.

July 17, 2016 at 6:54 pm

Boys will be boys, right? Haha

It was Chaparral.