Race Recaps

2016 Calgary Marathon Jugo Juice 10k Recap

June 2, 2016

Two race recaps in one week? Why not! If I thought my time at Woody’s was bad, then I had another thing coming at this race. Let’s just say some poor nutrition choices the day before and a sleepless night made for the worst run I’ve ever had. I think I’d have preferred to run a race in the pouring rain and wind and cold again then repeat this race ever again.

IMG_6168We Run Social Calgary Meetup

Pre-Race

The day before the race, we may have a little too much fun sampling beer and eating terrible(ly good) food at some Calgary craft breweries. However, we shut it down early enough to be able to drink a ton of water and go to bed early. I was staying with Ange, who was off to a birthday celebration, leaving me to turn in early and snuggle with her adorable cat Merlin. I called it a night around 9, ready for my alarm to go off at 5:45. Sometime after midnight I woke up and could not get back to sleep. All the poor food choices (and beer) was sitting in my stomach like a lump which was not comfortable. I tossed and turned and got anxious for a couple hours, getting just a couple hours of sleep on and off before the alarm went off. Yikes.

I was exhausted and not feeling great to say the least. But it wasn’t going to stop me from getting out there. I got dressed, chugged some water and dragged my feet leaving Ange’s, wanting nothing more than a few more hours of sleep. The nice thing was that Ange lives right across the street from the Stampede Grounds which meant I could walk to the start line in just a couple minutes. I ended up missing the group photo with the other Calgary Marathon Forerunners but met up with Kaella near the start. We watched the half, full and ultra marathoners head out before we went inside to drop my bag off in the VIP lounge.

Sarah (a fellow Forerunner), Kaella and me

Eventually, I found Mary as well and before we knew it we were making our way into the corral. I was trying my best to find the 10k pace bunnies but couldn’t see them anywhere. I’m not sure if they ended up not having them this year or what happened there but I was pretty disappointed that I wasn’t able to find them.

The Race

I felt sluggish right from the get go and I knew that I was going to be riding the struggle bus the entire way. I just kept reminding myself that as long as I finished, it didn’t matter, I was there to have fun. And that’s really what Calgary is all about. It was an absolutely beautiful morning and I really do love getting to run the streets of Calgary, checking out all the cool neighbourhoods, high-fiving volunteers and spectators and jamming to the music along the way.

At the 3k mark I sent out a text to a couple friends that I was struggling hard. I began thinking about how lonely I felt out there, despite tons of other runners, and remember feeling the same way last year. I think that for me, since I’m really not out there to get the best time, that I’d have such a better experience if I was running this race alongside friends.

I did my best to keep trucking through and ended up taking a ton of walking breaks and stopping at every water station. It didn’t help that it ended up being way hotter than expected out either. Around the 7km mark I was just trying to get through one kilometer at a time. Thank goodness for the encouragement of friends texting me to keep moving. At one point I thought I’d maybe just walk the rest of the way and maybe Laura and her dad (who were walking the whole distance) would catch up to me and I’d have some company.

Shortly after East Village, my favourite cheer section towards the end, Leigh passed me and told me to keep moving. It was all I could do to make it to the stampede grounds and cross the finish line. It took me 1:25 to get there, which was absolutely brutal but at least I finished.

With my tail between my legs, I got my medal and made my way through the very, very long finishers shoot collecting a bottle of water and bag full of snacks (no green bananas this year!!). Mary absolutely crushed her race and I couldn’t be more proud of her. I was glad she was able to experience the energy of the Calgary Marathon.

Post Race

One of the perks of being a Calgary Marathon Forerunner was having access to the VIP lounge that was full of food and beverages. I headed back there after the race to catch up with a few people and drink a smoothie. I love that there are so many people I know at this race so I was able to spend quite a bit of time afterwards chatting with different people before heading back to Ange’s. I spilled onto her couch for a much needed nap before even peeling off my sticky running clothes. Oops.

So, it wasn’t my proudest race and I hate to admit that I really didn’t make the best life choices by drinking beer and eating loads of pub food the night before a race. However, I’m not a quitter and I still crossed that finish line and had I got a decent night sleep, I think I would have done just a bit better. Plus I ended up being one of the top fundraisers for KidSport Calgary as part of the Charity Challenge, raising almost $650 (huge thanks to everyone who donated!). That to me, is still a win.

Will I do this race again next year? Depends. I’d like to continue trying new-to-me races but I’d really just prefer to run for fun with my friends at whichever race that might be.

What was your worst race ever? What made it so bad?

Ashley - Adventure To Anywhere
    June 2, 2016 at 6:16 am

Ohh girl. This sounds ROUGH but I’m proud of you for sticking it out!

I have yet to experience my ‘worst race’ but I know my day is coming lol…up until now it was probably Okanagan Half in October just because of my personal circumstances and being undertrained.

Lessons learned! 😉

June 2, 2016 at 7:16 pm

Definite lessons learned, haha.

June 2, 2016 at 7:24 am

Sounded like a rough race. Those days are tough when you know right from the beginning that it’s not going to be your day. But way to push and finish it, no matter the time.

June 2, 2016 at 7:16 pm

Yeah, all you can do is force yourself to keep going. No such thing as quitting!

laura @ scribbles and sass
    June 2, 2016 at 8:08 am

me and dad would have loved your company on the course, but i’m glad you trucked along and didn’t find us.
    having company is definitely something that adds great things to a run.

June 2, 2016 at 7:15 pm

Agreed. Running so such a social activity for me unless I really need to blow off steam. The more friends the better!!

Heather
    June 2, 2016 at 8:42 am

That sounds rough – way to make it through! I think my worst race was a half marathon I ran a few years ago. I was running with my sister, but she ran ahead of me right before the beginning of a giant hill. I ran up the hill pretty much crying because it was so hard, I couldn’t keep up to her, and I seriously doubted whether I’d be able to finish. Listening to Teenage Dream on repeat was the only thing that kept me going. It sounds so overdramatic now that I type it out haha.

June 2, 2016 at 7:15 pm

Aw man, it doesn’t sound overdramatic, I’ve had those moments just in regular runs myself.

June 2, 2016 at 9:30 am

proud of you; hooray for finishing! running is super hard and my shins are aching just thinking of it.

June 2, 2016 at 7:11 pm

Running is the worst, I’m not sure why I decided to make it a hobby :p

Kaella
    June 2, 2016 at 10:39 am

Ugh, tough races are definitely not fun but, as always, I’m proud of you for finishing!!

June 2, 2016 at 7:11 pm

Thanks friend.

Ange // Cowgirl Runs
    June 2, 2016 at 2:05 pm

I know the day wasn’t your day but, girl, don’t be so hard on yourself! I’ve had shitty races after doing everything right, and great races after doing everything wrong – sometimes the stars just don’t align.

June 2, 2016 at 7:08 pm

So true. I love how supportive my friends are, even when I make bad decisions, haha.

June 2, 2016 at 9:37 pm

I’m sorry your race didn’t go as you had hoped. Haha I hope I didn’t sound bossy or mean- I just didn’t want to scare you but did want to motivate you 🙂

Kristy @ Southern In Law
    June 3, 2016 at 9:47 pm

Way to go for pushing through it and finishing! You mightn’t have been happy with your results – but you still ran 10K! And even moreso, you didn’t quit when things got tough!

June 6, 2016 at 3:48 pm

Are we laughing about this day yet? Or still too soon? 😉 You got out there that morning though! And you finished! That’s a lot more than most people would be able to say if they had felt like you did that morning. But I agree – I much more enjoy running a race with a friend! I’m sad we didn’t run together this year. Let’s not make that mistake next May! 🙂

Nicole
    June 7, 2016 at 2:46 pm

Sounds rough 🙁 Sorry it was such a struggle. I try to be pretty cautious about what I eat the night before a race but sometimes it doesn’t work out that way. We had sushi the night before the Vegas half and I was worried about that given that I was also very hung over. Thankfully it was ok.

I think my worst/hardest race was the Calgary Police Half. It had snowed the night before so the pathways were treacherous. We ran around the Glenmore Reservoir which is super hilly. Thankfully I ran it with a friend/my running instructor or else I probably would have quit and hitched a ride with a cop!