Community

Grocery Shopping Made Easy

February 9, 2016

Let’s set the scene for a typical grocery shopping trip with a certain three year old in tow shall we?

Upon arriving at the store, there’s an argument about which cart to use. Thankfully these days Liam turns to the mini carts instead of the giant car carts that he never stayed sitting in anyways. Then we beeline to the bakery for a cookie. From there Liam gets frustrated that he can’t push his cart and eat his cookie at the same time. We rush through the produce section before Liam can put every fruit ever into the cart before moving on to say hi to the lobster. At this point Liam claims he has to go pee so we rush off to the public washroom, trying to find a safe place to put down the remaining cookie. False alarm. We head back to the meat department and continue on our way. Somewhere along the way, Liam will likely knock over his mini shopping cart and start crying before announcing he has to pee again. Another false alarm. We argue over the number of far too expensive items he tries to sneak into the cart that he just can’t live without. Getting only the bare essentials and forgetting far too many things because I’m trying to get out as quickly as possible, we make it to the check out where Liam insists on unloading the carts contents himself. Begging and pleading for him to push his cart through and get out of the way so I can move up. From here another epic meltdown occurs because he wants to put the groceries back into his little cart, not the bags. It takes another ten minutes just to get him to stop crying, put his cart away and haul the whole load to the car.

Sounds exhausting right?

Let’s see if the scene from this week’s grocery shopping experience is any more appealing…

Sunday night I take my grocery list and open up Superstore Click and Collect. I easily find the items I’m needing quickly and easily while Liam sleeps, with no interruptions. Surprisingly, my total is nearly half the amount that I aim to spend each week. From there I choose the time frame that I would collect my groceries, confirm my order, and carry on my evening. Fast forward to Monday afternoon. I get a text message confirming my order has been put together, where to go and how to collect them. I am notified of a couple out of stock items and the substitutions available. No big deal. I pick Liam up from the day home after work and after a quick stop for a haircut, we head to Superstore to pickup our goods. Parking in the well marked stall, I call the number provided and let them know I’m there. Within seconds, someone is at my car door with a debit terminal and my groceries are put right in my back seat. Liam’s insistence on putting the groceries away himself took longer than the entire process itself.

Superstore Click and Collect

While Superstore isn’t my regular grocery store, it will definitely become my go-to when I’m desperate for groceries without the hassle. This is seriously a game changer for the busy parent, unwilling to drag their kids through the store, or for those days when one of us is sick and I need to stock up on sick supplies. I am beyond thrilled that this service is available in my little city and hope that all of the grocery stores will jump on board with this in time as well.

Have you used Superstore Click and Collect yet?

February 9, 2016 at 7:00 am

I think this is a great idea. We don’t shop there but I’m willing to just to try this!

February 9, 2016 at 7:16 am

I don’t shop there often either. I don’t like their meat at all and the store itself is way too busy for me. But for dry goods, organic and household items, it’s definitely cheaper.

Louise
    February 9, 2016 at 8:19 am

With the exception of meat, we do almost all of our shopping at Superstore. Although I haven’t needed to use this service (yet), it’s a game changer. With this service and PC points it puts the store in a different league.

February 9, 2016 at 8:04 pm

I’m with you on not buying meat there. Why is their meat so terrible?? I don’t have PC points because I don’t shop at Superstore as often, but I’m going to look into it! Might as well.

February 9, 2016 at 8:24 am

How was the produce? The biggest qualm with this service is that I’d rather pick out my own produce being the crazy OCD person I am, needing just perfectly, slightly green bananas and under ripe avocado and mango, limes with softer skin, etc.

February 9, 2016 at 8:03 pm

Haha yeah that’s the tricky part. My bananas were greener than I would like but beyond that, I didn’t get much produce. I *think* you can specify your preferences when you checkout but I can’t quite remember. I wouldn’t use this service for my regular shopping trips but when you’re in a pinch, it’s great!

February 9, 2016 at 11:00 am

Totally agree with Allison on this one – I’m much to picky about my produce to let someone else pick it our for me, but for pretty much everything else, this sounds awesome! Especially when it’s really cold outside. Do they charge for this service? And do you still get your PC points (like the bonus ones)?

February 9, 2016 at 8:02 pm

I don’t have PC Points (yet) but yes you can still collect them I believe. It’s $3 or $5 during peak hours which isn’t bad at all.

As for the produce, I didn’t get much but I heard they choose the best they have. My bananas were too green for but that’s ok. I think you could use the comments to specify your preference.

Alycia Lowe
    February 9, 2016 at 11:34 am

this sounds perfect. especially with 2 kids!!! and, i can order my groceries, and pick them up after the gym! How perfect!

February 9, 2016 at 8:00 pm

Yes!! That’s so convenient for you guys!

Alycia
    February 9, 2016 at 8:52 pm

Except that lethvrisge doesn’t do it!!!

February 9, 2016 at 9:00 pm

We shop at superstore and it would have been so helpful when I was on mat leave. I’m pretty sure they don’t do it here

Jen @nutcaseinpoint
    February 10, 2016 at 12:13 pm

Love the idea but I would probably still go in to avoid extra charge haha. Plus I am picky with produce!