Reading has always been one of my favourite things to do. As a kid I would often have a stack of books beside me at the dinner table, nose buried deep. In college my reading habits changed from novels to text books but I quickly picked up again after graduation. I’ve been lucky to have friends who love reading just as much and was always trading books back and forth. Of course, once Liam was born I couldn’t find the time to read much more than parenting books. I’m happy to have picked up the habit once again. This year I’m aiming to read at least one book a month. I’ve never actually kept track of how many books I read in a year and have a feeling this is a pretty lowball goal. Ultimately it would be great to read two books per month, the book club book, and another from my nightstand stack.
Next month, Allison and I will be starting a new feature recapping our current reads and what we’re looking forward to next. Before that rolls out, I wanted to share a few of my recent reads.
- Why Not Me? by Mindy Kaling – seriously love her and this was a fun, easy read.
- Furiously Happy: A Funny Book About Horrible Things by Jenny Lawson – this is the second book by Jenny Lawson aka The Blogess. I hadn’t read her first, but might have to pick it up after this one. It was laugh out loud funny and an interesting look into the mind of someone with multiple mental illnesses.
- Everything is Perfect When You’re a Liar – Kelly Oxford – I have to admit, I had no idea who Kelly Oxford was before reading this book. Turns out she’s pretty hilarious and I probably should have known who she was. Side note: I started following her on IG and she has the cutest dog in the world.
- Not That Kind of Girl: A Young Woman Tells You What She’s “Learned” by Lena Dunham – Thinking back, I enjoyed reading this but I don’t have any profound memories from it.
- Girl Runner by Carrie Snyder – I had a love/hate with this book. I hated how it jumped back and forth between time periods, but enjoyed the story overall.
- The Vacationers by Emma Staub – There’s not too much to this book at all. An easy beach read.
- Love by the Book: A Novel by Melissa Pimentel – This cover states that this is for anyone who likes The Mindy Project and I ended up really liking it. A story about a girl who follows the advice from a new dating book every month. I loved the ending.
- The Uncoupling: A Novel by Meg Wolitzer – This is another one I might not have chose myself if it wasn’t lent to me. It was a very different story and the beginning had me really questioning it but it turned out to be a decent read.
What have you read recently?
What’s your favourite type of book?