Weekend Recap

November 16, 2015

You guys, you are never going to believe the weekend I had. It was wild and crazy and full of the craziest antics. By that I mean, it was totally lame and I hardly left the house.

Weekend Recap

Friday was the early day home pick up and I had plans to meet up with a friend and her little girl at Cafe O’Play. We hadn’t seen each other since early summer and a catch up was long overdue. I love that you can actually sit and have a conversation there because there is so much to keep the kiddos occupied. Liam made friends with a group of older kids and it was difficult to drag him out.

By the time we left it was snowing pretty hard. Liam’s dad was home early in the afternoon so I dropped Liam off at his place for the weekend. I went home to eat dinner and catch up on last week’s episode of Scandal (I kind of hate being caught up and having to wait for Fridays to watch it now). I was almost feeling ready for bed but knew that I had told Cassandra I’d stop over for a visit so I made that happen before I fell asleep on the couch. I had another great and much needed catch up with her before retreating  back home and into bed with my book.

Saturday
I set my alarm so I could be up in time to go watch Liam’s swimming lessons. I kind of love not actually having to go swimming with him now, instead I get to sit back and enjoy a giant coffee.

Afterwards I said goodbye to Liam and set out to do some holiday shopping. I’m actually having a hard time thinking of what to get Liam this year (and what Santa will bring!!) but I did get some stocking stuffers, my blogger ornament exchange gift, a gift for an upcoming birthday party and a couple other little things. I also managed to treat myself to a new tank and a super yummy lunch. BTW, am I the only one that just can’t make it through Christmas shopping without buying anything for myself? I’m lucky I made it out of Chapters alive because I seriously want all.the.things. Buffalo plaid everywhere!

Shopping also included groceries before coming home before I could do any more damager to my bank account.

I was kind of at a loss for what to do after that since my condo was still relatively clean from last weekend’s cleaning spree and laundry was already half done. I busted out a bit of yoga before making an early dinner and renting Trainwreck. I thought it was just ‘ok’, nothing super hilarious and probably not worth the $5 rental on iTunes.

I followed the movie up with an epsom salt bath since my muscles were still feeling my workouts from the week. By this point I was really struggling to keep my eyes open and it was only 7pm. Can you say party animal lame? I stuck it out for a couple more hours reading my book before giving in to the sleep fairy.

Luckily I had made plans with Lindsey to meet me for a run, otherwise I may not have had any motivation to get out of bed. We had a great run before I came home for a nice warm bath. I decided that I should probably take care of the giant pumpkin sitting in my pantry and set to work making homemade pumpkin puree. Note to self: do not buy the biggest pumpkin you can find next year. So much work. By the time it was all said and done (2+ hours later), I had a big jar of roasted pumpkin seeds and 12 cups of puree. I whipped up a batch of Liam’s favourite pumpkin pancakes to have for breakfast Monday morning but it turned out so runny that they were a complete disaster. Anyone know what to do about my runny puree? I’m scared to use it in any recipes now. I threw the rest of the puree in the freezer for future use if I can figure out what to do with the runny-ness.

image1-15

I also seasoned a whole chicken to throw in the slow cooker with some roasted balsamic carrots and rosemary potatoes in the oven for some meal prep for the week. I was seriously over being on my feet and in the kitchen by this point.

Luckily Liam came home shortly after and we hung out playing Lego and watching Inside Out, which was totally worth the $5 iTunes rental. So cute. Also, I miss Popcorn Time, the old program I used for streaming new movies and TV shows. It got shut down recently and I really hope sometimes similar pops up somewhere. Between that and Netflix, I was set for life.

Once Liam was in bed, I wrapped up a few blog posts I was working on throughout the day, had a quick shower and settled into bed with a big mug of tea and my book. It was a pretty low-key weekend but I know that things will start getting busier as we get closer to Christmas. If only I still had Scandal to watch over the weekend, I would have had zero complaints!

What did you get up to this weekend?
Do you prefer quiet weekends in or busy weekends out and about?

November 16, 2015 at 7:48 am

I’m was so excited for your low-key, relaxing weekend. Yesterday I was honestly thinking “I hope Becky is in sweatpants on her couch right now”. Ha! I also cooked a lot; made a roast chicken on Saturday with roasted cinnamon carrots and hasselback potatoes (mmmmm, rosemary potatoes, LOVE them) and then a week’s worth of beef stew yesterday. Caught up on some shows, read a magazine.
    Have you tried your library for movies? Our in Guelph had a new releases, 2 day rental section and I’d frequently pop in and borrow whatever looked good. Our had kids films, too. Simcoe, unfortunately, not so much. Makes me miss redbox; YES, I would like to rent that for a dollar if I couldn’t find it at the library. Why does everything good get taken from us? (ps: Target was so good last week and I am in a deep, deep Target depression again. WHHHYY???)

November 16, 2015 at 7:50 pm

Sigh. Target.
      Um, we basically cooked the same meal this weekend. SO GOOD.
      I haven’t tried the library. I get overwhelmed going there. There’s just so much and I don’t know where everything is and I don’t do well with so much choice lol

kris @ Canadian Girl Runs
    November 16, 2015 at 8:32 am

It sounds like a totally productive weekend!! Little kid swimming lessons are the cutest!

November 16, 2015 at 7:48 pm

Haha, yeah it’s pretty cute watching swimming lessons. Especially when Liam looks at us and gives us a big wave.

November 16, 2015 at 8:55 am

Turn it into soup, curry & ‘pumpkin cheez’ sauce!

I prefer my weekends to be an equal balance of quiet time and busy! Best of both worlds.

November 16, 2015 at 6:50 pm

Tell me more about pumpkin cheez sauce!! I’m just worried about it being so watery and ruining any recipes I try to use it in.

You’re right, a good balance makes for the perfect weekend! I don’t think that ever exists for me, it’s either all or nothing it feels like.

November 16, 2015 at 9:07 am

I’ve heard such great things about that glow salad, I need to try it!
    I miss Popcorn time for free movies so much! We do go to the video store more now though.
    It was a great run, and really any time I will be up for one!

November 16, 2015 at 6:49 pm

Yes! You do need to try that salad. So good. I wanted an acai bowl too so I’ll have to go back soon.

laura @ scribbles and sass
    November 16, 2015 at 9:29 am

i want to see Inside Out, i might just have to itunes rent it one weekend. it looked so cute.
    your chicken snap was a delicious sight, too. it was like i could almost smell it!

November 16, 2015 at 6:48 pm

You totally should. It’s super cute and will make you feel all the feels

November 16, 2015 at 10:05 am

Your weekend sounds awesome! I would trade you weekends in a heartbeat! 😉 I am terrible when Christmas shopping for buying myself gifts. I joke that it goes “one for you, one for me!” Lol. I miss redbox for renting movies! What a great service. I was soooo sad that Canada, once again, couldn’t support something like that. What is wrong with us as consumers?! I use the library a lot for movies now – they get new releases in quite often, it’s pretty impressive.

November 16, 2015 at 6:47 pm

Ahaha, I wish I could have given you a better weekend, but I’m not sure about a trade.

I never used Redbox and didn’t realize it was gone. That’s too bad.

Destini
    November 16, 2015 at 10:25 am

I did a lot of running around, it was so beautiful out, it felt like I should.

I hear ya about Sundays, meal prep is a amazing during the week, but prepping can be so tiring. And I grow very frustrated some days.

Your green juice is making me THIRSTY

November 16, 2015 at 5:21 pm

That green juice was gooooooood.

Meal prep is a necessary evil. I need a personal chef.

jen @nutcaseinpoint
    November 16, 2015 at 12:58 pm

Use frozen pumpkin puree cubes in smoothies! That’ll be good! I like low key weekends. Ones with lots of plans make them go by much faster which is NO BUENO

November 16, 2015 at 5:21 pm

I just don’t know what to do with the puree since its so much more moist than store bought stuff!!

That’s true about full weekends going by too fast.

November 16, 2015 at 8:52 pm

I agree- Trainwreck wasn’t that great. Just don’t watch it with one of your parents! Haha. We started watching Quantico and are all caught up now…it sucks having to wait until the next week for a new episode!