A Day Just For Me

September 29, 2015

29 years ago today I apparently interrupted my parents in the middle of moving to make my grand entrance.

Twenty nine. Whoa. Sometimes I still feel like 25. When I wasn’t yet a parent, just a single girl doing whatever I wanted. Becoming a mom has been such an amazing transition and experience for me but it’s not an easy job and there are times that I just want to be 25, with no real obligations, again.

When asked what I was going to do to celebrate, my answer was nothing.  I decided to take a day off work and take a trip to the city with my best friend, without really telling anyone I was going. After a long, hard month straight of solo parenting, I was very ready for my day to pretend I was 25 again, doing whatever I felt like, with no obligations.

Cassandra and I grabbed some giant coffees and hit the road. Our first stop was lunch and drinks at Last Best Brewing, highly recommended by many. We shared a tasting flight and some root beer bbq wings to start, followed by the grilled chicken panini that was way more delicious than I had expected.

Oh and can we take a moment to discuss how amazing the caramel latte beer was. Yeah. It was good. You should probably try it.

After lunch we took a stroll down Stephen Avenue before hopping over to Kensington for some window shopping. Somehow the only thing I came home with was a box of cereal….C’mon it was limited edition Halloween Cap’n Crunch that turns your milk green, how could I not?!

We couldn’t leave downtown without taking some time to enjoy the fall sunshine by the river. Calgary, you’re such a pretty little thing.

CalgaryBirthday

Since we walked off our lunch and beer it was time for dessert/dinner. We headed over to Fiasco Gelato for OMG-I-want-it-all gelato. We sat and enjoyed a cup together, I had fig cheesecake and it was heaven in a cup, and also took home four pints between the two of us. Pumpkin Pie, obviously. I’ll be consuming that in bed later.

We got back to Red Deer and I was off to meet some more friends at my favourite pub for a pint or two. It’s rare for me to be out on a weeknight and I stayed out past my typical curfew with absolutely no regrets.

It was just what I needed to kick off 29 on the right foot. Feeling a bit rejuvenated, knowing that I can still tap into my inner 25 year old. I know that carving out this day for myself will allow me to be a better parent when my son comes home. I think it’s incredibly important as a parent to take time to be selfish every once in awhile, whether it’s your birthday or not. Take a day just for you, ok?

What would you do on a day just for you?

September 29, 2015 at 10:50 pm

I’m so glad you did this for yourself! I totally agree that moms need to do this once in awhile. This is what Waterton was for me – a chance to regroup and recharge. And like I said to the girls I was hiking with on Saturday: I love my son, but I also love me. So happy you had a great birthday! You deserved it, my friend! 🙂 xoxo

September 30, 2015 at 6:38 pm

Right! I love my son too but I’m a much better parent when I can just be me and recharge my batteries.

Nicole
    September 29, 2015 at 10:51 pm

Happy Birthday!!

You were so close to me– I work on Stephen Ave! J’s office is right around the corner from Last Best. He raves about it!

Sounds like a fantastic day!! I think I want to do something like that for my birthday. It’s hard being a responsible adult all the time (never mind a single parent!) so this would be a great treat!!

September 30, 2015 at 6:37 pm

Ah that’s crazy! Next time we can have lunch together!

I definitely recommend doing it. It’s just so important as a parent to have a full day off.

laura @ scribbles and sass
    September 30, 2015 at 9:14 am

i’m glad you enjoyed your birthday like you were 25 again! and even better than your bestie came along with you for the ride.

September 30, 2015 at 6:36 pm

It was so perfect. But I did miss brunching with you!

Tawnya Faust
    September 30, 2015 at 9:55 am

I love that you took the day for yourself!! What a great idea! I need to do this more often… my Dr. appointment got cancelled next week that I already took a personal day for so I’m thinking I may still send Scarlett to the day home and visit the antique stores in Nanton… something I’ve always wanted to do but never have the time to do with a toddler.

September 30, 2015 at 6:35 pm

Honestly ‘me’ days are a lifesaver. I say absolutely go to Nanton antiquing! Don’t feel guilty about it.

Kelly
    September 30, 2015 at 9:56 am

Happy Birthday! Sounds like a really lovely day. I am fantasizing about a day-just-for-me now.

September 30, 2015 at 6:34 pm

Thank you! You should really take one. It’s so good for the soul.

September 30, 2015 at 12:36 pm

sounds like such a nice day!! I’m a firm believer in not working on your birthday.
    and yah, Calgary is being a bit of a show-off with this gorgeous fall weather; I don’t want to go home tomorrow to 3 days of rain.

September 30, 2015 at 6:34 pm

Yes. I was going to take my actual birthday off, but who wants to work Monday and then have Tuesday off.

Ugh. I can imagine you don’t want to go home to rain! This weather is amazing.

September 30, 2015 at 8:23 pm

I love that you did this for yourself! It’s nice to not worry about kids for a couple hours and take time for yourself. You deserve it! Hope you had a great birthday 🙂

September 30, 2015 at 10:28 pm

Thank you!! I certainly did.

Sam @ Better With Sprinkles
    October 1, 2015 at 10:39 pm

Sounds like an awesome way to celebrate a birthday – I’m glad you enjoyed yourself!

October 2, 2015 at 4:41 pm

Thanks!! It was perfect!

October 5, 2015 at 2:13 pm

What an awesome day!! I am SO glad you did this – well deserved! YOU time is so important!

October 5, 2015 at 8:10 pm