On Tuesday this little blog of mine celebrated it’s 7th birthday. That’s right, seven. Most people have no idea that I’ve been blogging that long. Today I’m sharing seven random things about blogging for the last seven years. There may or may not be a giveaway at the end, because what better way to celebrate my blog birthday than sharing some of my favourite things!
- I started this blog not knowing that blogging was a thing. I just wanted an outlet for my writing that I could occasionally share with family and friends. From that I’ve grown into a social influencer. People are actually interested in my ramblings, care about my opinions and are inspired by my experiences. Say what!? Pretty cool where hobbies can lead.
- I have received celebrity attention from my posts. I once wrote a post about Heidi Montag/Pratt that received attention from Heidi and Spencer themselves on Twitter. I’ve also had a singer, who I won’t name, request to have some posts they were featured in removed.
- My longest standing readers are most likely my dad (hi, Dad!) and my best friend Cassandra, who also serves as my editor-in-chief. Meaning, she texts me when she finds mistakes and I make a mad rush to fix them. I appreciate it more than she knows.
- Many of my current friendships have formed through blogging. I think as an adult it’s difficult to make new connections, but I’ve been fortunate to have been gained some amazing girlfriends through the world of blogging. I’m confident that I could move to another city in Alberta and immediately have a group of friends to hang out with.
- Blogging has made me realize what career path I wish I would have pursued. The world of PR and marketing are super fun and exciting to me and I wish I would have known how much I would have grown to love it when I was making my post-secondary decisions. I wasn’t accepted into the journalism program I applied for and ended up in Business Administration instead without knowing what other avenues I could have explored that utilized my love of writing. Cue my third-life crisis (you know, between the quarter-life crisis and mid-life crisis, it’s a thing).
- I’m often recognized in the community because of my blog and social media feeds. It weirds me out every time someone says, “oh hey, I recognize you from the internet” Cue awkward looking around. I’ve connected with some really amazing local businesses though and am proud to be a part of such an amazing community. I guess you can say I’m a pretty big deal.
- One of my favourite things about blogging is reading an email from someone that is sharing how they were inspired to run an OCR (obstacle course race) after reading my posts. Whether it’s someone just starting out on their fitness journey, someone who’s never ran any kind of race before, or a newly pregnant mama exploring her fitness options during pregnancy, I’ve received so many emails that make my heart smile. Please don’t stop emailing me your stories and experiences.
My other favourite thing about blogging? Sharing the love through giveaways. I decided to share two of my favourite things, coffee and craft beer! One winner will receive the ultimate prize pack from The Troubled Monk and Cool Beans Coffee Bus.
Winner will be announced on Tuesday, September 29. Good luck! As always, thanks for reading this little space of the internet that I’ve claimed for the last seven years.