Long Weekend Recap

September 8, 2015

I know it was a long weekend, but after being home sick half of last week it almost feels as if I’ve had an entire week off. I’ve finally mostly recovered from the sinus infection from hell, save for some lingering sniffles. Liam’s nose is still running but I think we’ve beat the total exhaustion that came with it. I felt like a total sloth all weekend, with no motivation to do much and wishing I had the motivation to be productive.

My weekend plans went from a possible trip to Waterton to meet up with some blog ladies, to possibly hitting up X-Fest in Calgary to watch Hozier, to three whole days with Liam and no plans. Looking back, I can barely remember what we even got up to and I have zero pictures from the whole weekend. Blogger fail.

I had a BBQ at work so was only in the office for a couple hours in the morning. The BBQ wrapped up pretty early so after moving to another location for a sociable with some coworkers, I went to pick Liam up early. We must not have got up to anything afterwards because I have no recollection or photos haha

Saturday
We finally got to hit up the farmer’s market since it had been almost a month or so since we’d been last. I picked up some pumpkin cheesecake perogies (OMG the best) and Liam picked out some gladiola for his day home provider. He’s a sweetheart. The weather was a bit gray so we decided to check out the library downtown. I hadn’t taken Liam before and was toying with the idea of getting us library cards. Liam had a great time in the kids area but was not interested in letting me browse so we didn’t last very long.

We came home to work on a painting project before it was nap time. Liam graced me with a three hour nap and it was glorious! We were invited for dinner at our friends place afterwards and we had a completely British meal of banger sausage, mashed peas and Stout. Perfection.

It was pouring rain which put a damper on our Sunday run plans. Instead, Liam and I met Mary at Starbucks for a little coffee date. I channelled my inner basic chick and indulged in a pumpkin latte and it was glorious. We got a brunch invite right after and I was interested in checking out the new brunch at Heritage Ranch. They just moved away from their Sunday buffet to a three course, family style brunch. I enjoyed brunch family style, but definitely missed the selection of buffet. Heritage Ranch has such amazing food that I want to eat all the variety. I will definitely be back though as it’s still my top dining spot in the city, especially for breakfast.

After brunch it was back home for nap time again. My mission for the weekend was to stock up on some new books for myself and hopped that we could have made a Chapters trip after nap time but Liam had zero interest. We just played low at home for the evening instead. Since I discovered the Fox and the Hound was on Netflix, we watched that and I may have shed a tear or two. I didn’t realize how sad that movie was!

Monday
My parents came to visit. Liam was so impatient waiting for them to arrive and it made for a long morning trying to explain to him that most normal adults don’t start their day at 6am like he does. We were hungry for an early lunch/long weekend brunch when the folks finally made it so we headed to Brown’s before doing some shopping. I took advantage of my parents being here to go grocery shopping solo. I just did not have the patience to take Liam this weekend. Once Liam was up from his nap, we had his little BFF over for dinner and sat as the boys ran around in full chaos. It was a good excuse to indulge in those pumpkin perogies!

And that’s a wrap on the weekend. It felt pretty boring and low key even though we did get out a fair bit. The dreary, cold weather mixed didn’t help my sluggishness all weekend and I’m hoping I can drag myself back into normal routine today. I’m already looking forward to the weekend, running the Spartan race and visiting friends.

How did you spend your Labour Day weekend?

Alycia
    September 8, 2015 at 6:52 am

Glad you are both feeling a little better!! Sinus stuff is the worst!! The rain really but a damper on our plans too! We planned to go to the zoo but opted out when it rained all day!!! Ugh!

September 8, 2015 at 8:18 pm

Oh man, that’s too bad the rain ruined your zoo trip. Hopefully you can make it there soon!

September 8, 2015 at 6:57 am

Glad you are feeling better! Our weekend was low key too. How did we miss you at brunch?

September 8, 2015 at 8:17 pm

It’s because they got rid of the buffet so I had no excuse to look in that side of the restaurant!

September 8, 2015 at 7:45 am

I’m sure low key was good for getting over the sinus infection. My weekend was also a bit of a blur – unpacking, organizing, putting up art, baseball with dad, lots of sleep, reading, and the best part: Dad cooked. Oh my goodness, I have missed having someone else make me dinner.

September 8, 2015 at 8:17 pm

Oooooh I would love to have someone to cook for me!

September 8, 2015 at 7:54 am

Glad you’re starting to feel better. Sucks about all the cancelled plans though sometimes a quieter weekend can be nice.

September 8, 2015 at 8:17 pm

Yes – considering we have plans for the next 3-4 weekends, I’m ok with things not working out.

Cassandra
    September 8, 2015 at 8:42 am

Sounds like you had a pretty busy weekend for it being so quiet. I’m hoping the clouds break so we can get walk in and go to the store for stamps for birthday invites. We spent our weekend sick and in pj’s Sunday and Monday.
    Library cards are free for kids, I should take O to the one in Timberstone.

September 8, 2015 at 8:16 pm

I hope you guys feel better soon. Liam said he wants to go to your house and play on the playground with Oliver.

September 8, 2015 at 8:59 am

Glad you are both feeling better. Sounds like a nice low key weekend. Those perogies sound amazing and I Love Bangers & Mash – must make that, Hope your week is great!

Brie
    September 8, 2015 at 9:01 am

Sometimes we just need a laid back weekend, although, still sounds like you two got up to lot despite the crappy weather. Other than my run on Sunday, we didn’t leave the house all weekend lol. Hope you have a better week and can’t wait for Spartan!!

September 8, 2015 at 8:15 pm

I’m looking forward to seeing you!

laura @ scribbles and sass
    September 8, 2015 at 11:15 am

the weather called for lots of down time and hopefully couch snuggles. sadly i did none of those things this week – kept far too busy – and hope to make up for it this week with a lot of sleep and laziness! 😉

September 8, 2015 at 8:15 pm

Keeping busy in bad weather is just as good!

Sam @ Better With Sprinkles
    September 8, 2015 at 1:11 pm

Glad to hear that you’re feeling better! Too bad about the cancelled plans, but I hope you and Liam enjoyed the downtime!

September 8, 2015 at 8:14 pm

It was good to have a low key weekend since the next three are booked up!

Kelly
    September 8, 2015 at 2:03 pm

Pumpkin cheesecake perogies!?!? Yes.

September 8, 2015 at 8:14 pm

Right?! Excuse me while I go eat the rest…

KaellaOnTheRun
    September 8, 2015 at 2:46 pm

Glad you’re feeling better!

I’m excited that I get to see you both again in a couple weeks!!

September 8, 2015 at 8:14 pm

YES! I’m glad everything worked out so we can both go. So not looking forward to the 4+ hour drive but it will be worth it! I haven’t told Liam yet but I bet he’s going to be excited to see London again!

NIcole
    September 8, 2015 at 2:59 pm

Ugh sick again? Sounds awful, especially for the long weekend. This weather does nothing for my motivation either.

September 8, 2015 at 8:13 pm

Yeah this damn cold lasted FOREVER and still isn’t gone so it’s been brutal. I’m hoping the forecast shapes up soon!!

Nancy
    September 8, 2015 at 3:34 pm

Hope you’re feeling better soon! Although if you’re going to be sick might as well do it when the weather’s gross and you don’t feel much like going out anyway! We had a pretty low key weekend too, which was actually kinda nice.
    And another Spartan? The Super? My husband did it the last two years up there and loved it…not this year though! Good luck!

September 8, 2015 at 8:12 pm

Yes I’m doing my 6th or 7th Spartan this weekend, my second Super. It’s just down the road from me so it’s super convenient to continue doing year over year!

September 8, 2015 at 8:43 pm

Boo to being sick! Glad you are feeling better though. Do you usually read actual books or on a kobo? If you use a kobo and there is something that I’ve read and you want to read, let me know and I can email you the book 🙂

September 11, 2015 at 7:19 am

I read actual books. I stare at a screen all day long so like to give my eyes a rest at the end of the day. Book readers are just not something I can see myself getting behind!

jen @nutcaseinpoint
    September 9, 2015 at 3:43 pm

OMG I want to try those perogies!!!!

September 11, 2015 at 7:18 am