Weekend Recap

August 31, 2015

This weekend update is coming to you a bit later than normal. Liam and I are at home today with matching head colds that started out this weekend and seem to be getting worse. Colds or not, this was a weekend I had been waiting all summer for! It was the second annual LRPS girls weekend in Lethbridge, full of girl time, running, food and wine.

Also, how is today the last day of August? Didn’t August JUST start?

I took Friday off work and made sure we hit up Cool Beans for our first pumpkin coffee of the season before we hit the road. First stop in Calgary was Fiasco Gelato for a couple pints to bring to our carb loading dinner.

Second stop was at Brie’s for some lunch and diaper change before all hitting the road together. The drive from Calgary to Lethbridge with two toddlers was….interesting. Poor Sully was not a happy little man and Liam was so good trying to cheer him up most of the way.

We made it to the city in mostly one piece, stopping to pick up our race packages before continuing on to dinner. There was a big group of girls running the race, but with the poor air quality due to forest fires further south we all end up dropping down to the 5k distance.

We all gathered together for a ‘carb loading’ dinner aka a big excuse to eat all the food and visit while the kids ran around outside. Melissa was a saint for hosting a bunch of kids in her kid free, immaculate home.

LRPS Dinner

After dinner we headed back to Kaella’s to put the kids to bed. Ange came just after we got back as she was also staying with Kaella before the race. It was so nice to finally meet her in person! We enjoyed a glass or two of wine together before calling it a night.

Saturday
My alarm went off about 6:15 to get ready for the race. It was far too early since I had a hard time sleeping and didn’t feel rested at all. I ended up having to wake Liam up too since he had a late night but we had to get going off to the hotel to meet everyone. I will do a full race recap later this week once race photos are posted!

After the race we hung out near the finish line for a little bit while the kids played in the bouncy castle. We had brunch reservations at 10 and I was so excited for food and a mimosa. Unfortunately by this point Liam was getting tired and was being a brat and I was having a hard time with him considering I was so tired too. We ended up having to leave in a hurry before everyone else when Liam had a meltdown. Toddlers. The eggs benny and mimosa were worth the frustration though.

Back at Kaella’s (where I stayed for the weekend), the boys went down for naps. Liam slept for about 3 hours and after a shower, I went to lie with him for awhile too. We had hopped to be able to take the boys on an adventure after nap time, but the smoke had rolled in again and it was too smokey to be outside. It was a long afternoon inside with the boys arguing over toys. A couple other girls came for dinner, wine and girl talk and it was so nice to be able to have more time to visit .

I didn’t last long after everyone went home since I had woken up with a cold and was feeling progressively worse as the evening went on. I felt bad calling it a night and curling up beside Liam shortly after 9pm.

Liam and I were up and packed up ready to go home pretty early. Liam was sad to leave London’s house Before we headed out, we had a photo session with my friend Tawnya who is an insanely talented photographer. I had contemplated cancelling just because I was feeling crumby and wanted to get home but I’m so glad I stuck it out. I can’t wait to see more photos.

We drove straight home without stopping and luckily Liam slept most of the way. We rolled into Red Deer just after noon, where I dropped him off at his dad’s and went home to sleep the rest of the afternoon. I had so much fun with everyone in Lethbridge but it felt so good to be in my own bed.

Lethbridge is such a beautiful little city and I’m so lucky to have such great girlfriends there. It’s too bad it’s such a long drive because I would love to be able to visit more often.

What was the highlight from your weekend?

Kaella On The Run
    August 31, 2015 at 9:35 am

I’m sorry you two aren’t feeling better! Hope you are able to get lots of sleep and cuddles in today!

I am really happy you guys were able to make the drive. Although the boys had their moments, it was so worth it to spend some good quality time together. I wish you guys lived closer too! I guess it’s my turn to make a trip to Red Deer now!!

Thanks for always being so sweet xx

August 31, 2015 at 4:15 pm

I just hope you guys don’t get hit with this as hard as us. I’d feel super guilty for staying as long as I did instead of cutting my trip short. It was definitely a great weekend regardless of being too short and slightly chaotic at times. You’re welcome here any time! <3

August 31, 2015 at 9:40 am

I WANT TO COME NEXT YEAR. I was a little jealous when I saw all you beautiful ladies hanging out & having fun. What flavours of Fiasco did you pick up?

August 31, 2015 at 4:15 pm

You should totally come!!

I got campfire smore and strawberry rhubarb. OMG yum! I REALLY wanted the summer grapefruit radler but they didn’t have any more.

laura @ scribbles and sass
    August 31, 2015 at 10:13 am

so sorry to hear about the cold that hit you! but the rest of the weekend sounds so amazing; i’m glad you had such a great time.

August 31, 2015 at 4:16 pm

It’s too bad work prevented you from coming!

August 31, 2015 at 10:41 am

Great weekend. Can’t wait to hear about the race. Love that picture of Liam, Tawnya is super talented.

August 31, 2015 at 4:16 pm

She really is!

Brie
    August 31, 2015 at 12:01 pm

Haha – the drive was…interesting! Oh man, thanks again for putting up with us 😉 Liam is so great though, and I know he doesn’t understand it yet, but I appreciated what a kind, gentle kid he is 🙂 You are a great mom and it shows in his personality. So glad we had this awesome weekend all together! We should do it more often, not just once a year though 🙂

August 31, 2015 at 12:48 pm

Haha we enjoyed having you guys along for the ride, even if it was a little crazy. You are so sweet, I really appreciate that. I’m proud of how sweet my boy is but sometimes feel really unsure about my parenting. I agree, it’s so nice to get together like that. It needs to happen more often!

Rachel @ A Forever Change
    August 31, 2015 at 2:07 pm

Looks like you had such a fun weekend (minus the cold, of course!) Isn’t it AMAZING when toddler sleep most of the way home? Mine had a melt-down on our drive this weekend and it was, um, an experience 😉 Glad to know I’m not the only one!!

August 31, 2015 at 4:12 pm

Haha, I feel you mama. Toddler meltdowns are no fun, especially in the confines of the car! That’s when you just turn the music up and ignore them hahaha

August 31, 2015 at 3:00 pm

Boo to colds for both of you! Hope you and Liam are feeling better soon. Sounds like a fun weekend! I wish I would have been able to join. Must block off the weekend to come next year 🙂

August 31, 2015 at 4:11 pm

You totally should! It’s a great weekend.

jen @nutcaseinpoint
    August 31, 2015 at 3:05 pm

I can’t wait to see more of the photos!

August 31, 2015 at 4:10 pm

Me neither. Hopefully they get them up soon!

Danielle @ Finding Fit
    August 31, 2015 at 3:39 pm

So glad I got to see you this weekend! Liam is such an awesome kid and you are a great and patient mama! That gelato was soooo good! Sorry you’re feeling crummy though. 🙁 Hopefully your cold passes soon!

August 31, 2015 at 4:10 pm

Oh man. I did not feel patient at all at brunch.

Ange @ Cowgirl Runs
    August 31, 2015 at 4:33 pm

Don’t beat yourself up, friend.
    While the only parenting experience I have is that my cat, you handled everything just fine.

I’m so glad we were finally able to meet! I hope this is the beginning of MANY MANY more times together <3

September 1, 2015 at 7:22 pm

Aw you’re so sweet. Thank you. It really means a lot to hear that people don’t think I’m totally psycho because I feel like it sometimes!

I’m also very glad we met finally! I can’t wait for more hangs!

anorexiarevealed
    September 1, 2015 at 1:18 am

looks like such an awesome weekend!

Tawnya Faust
    September 1, 2015 at 7:59 am

So happy to get to spend some time with you guys this past weekend! I can’t wait for next year already and hopefully I’ll be able to run this time! 🙂 Thanks for your sweet compliments on my photos 🙂 I’ll get some more sneak peeks up this week and hopefully have your pics mailed out by the end of the week! XO

September 1, 2015 at 7:23 pm

Maybe I will be able to come up sooner than next year! Once a year just doesn’t seem like enough and I want to meet your new little squish sooner than later!!

I can’t wait to see all the finished photos. You are seriously amazing lady. <3

September 1, 2015 at 12:58 pm

Other than the head colds you weekend sounded PERFECT! All the good food and friends and run and photo shoots!! LOVE. I cannot wait to see more photos. And how fun London and Liam are buddies!

September 1, 2015 at 7:24 pm

It’s hard to have a bad weekend surrounded by so many awesome friends. I’m dying to see more photos!! I just love Tawnya’s work!