Family Reviews

Liam Reads

July 22, 2015

Reading has always been a favourite activity of mine. I remember growing up, I would always have my nose in a book and would sulk when I had to book my book down to interact with my family at the dinner table. I hope to install the same reading habits into Liam, and started reading to him and growing his library from birth.

It’s part of his bed time routine to read a few books before getting tucked in to go to sleep. I thought I would share some of the favourites that get repeated night after night (and sometimes multiple times a night).

Sandra Boynton books have been popular since the early days. Most of these books Liam knows by memory and will ‘read’ to himself’.
Nancy Tillman is another popular author in our house, more so for mom. The stories and illustrations are beautiful and if you’re feeling extra sappy, may stir up a bit of emotion.

Highly recommend picking up any and every book by either of these authors.

The Monster at the End of This Book (Sesame Book)– My mom read this book to me as a kid and it was always a favourite. She still has my copy from way back that she reads to Liam whenever we are visiting. It’s a fun one.

Sometimes I Like to Curl Up in a Ball

Little Owl Lost

The Pout-Pout Fish– I just found out there’s a series of these books so I may have to pick up some more!

Monkey And Me

The Gruffalo

Please, Mr. Panda

Goodnight Already!

Sam and Dave Dig a Hole

Polar Bear’s Underwear

What are some of your toddler’s favourite reads?
No kids? What is your favourite book?
What was the last book you read?
I just finished reading The Girl on the Train and have started on Not That Kind of Girl by Lena Dunham.

July 22, 2015 at 10:37 pm

Love the ones by Sandra Boynton! We have a couple. I just bought one by Mercer Mayer today for Amelia. I also got her a Amelia Bedelia one 🙂 we read to her before naps and bedtime. Both of us are big readers, so hopefully she is too

July 23, 2015 at 7:22 pm

I haven’t bought the Mercer Mayer ones for Liam. I’ll have to try them. Robert Munsch was another childhood favourite of mine but holy are they annoying to read so I try to avoid them lol

Brie
    July 22, 2015 at 11:34 pm

Well obviously I LOVE this post 🙂 Sully is finally starting to show interest in books, so PHEW! I love all of the books you mentioned. The Monster at the End of This Book was one of my favourites growing up too! I also really enjoyed some of the other Sesame Street ones, like Welcome Home Big Bird and The Sesame Street Bed Time Story Book. I also really like the Little Monsters series by Mercer Mayer (also from our childhood era). I always keep my eye out at Value Village for these books. Of course, right now, Sully’s favourite books are one’s that make noise when you lift flaps. MY favourite children’s author is Oliver Jeffers – do you have any of those ones? Lost and Found is one of my top favs of his.

July 23, 2015 at 7:21 pm

I’ll have to check out your suggestions and add them to our Amazon wish list! Thanks!

July 23, 2015 at 11:05 am

So funny, I have this exact post in my drafts titled Delainey Reads! ha ha LOVE this post, I want new book ideas as I know all her books off by heart, especially the bedtime ones! Totally stole you pics so I remember!!

July 23, 2015 at 6:03 pm

That’s awesome! I look forward to seeing your post so we can get some ideas 🙂

July 23, 2015 at 4:41 pm

I do not know if I could name Avery’s favorite, she is too book obsessed. I need to find a low and safe book case for her room soon since right books are taking over every room in our house!
    We love Sandra Boynton books too! I do not think we have any Nancy Tillman, but I will check them out for sure now.
    Avery loves the ABC Block book, and Dr. Seuss a lot too. We have a lot of random books she loves that I am not sure the title/author – Lol.

July 23, 2015 at 7:21 pm

Yes check out Nancy Tillman for sure! Beautiful books!

Liam likes Dr. Seuss too, those are other books that my mom still has at her place from my childhood.