Community

Westerner Days 2015

July 20, 2015

Westerner Days is my city’s annual fair and exhibition and probably one of the biggest community events of the year. It’s always a week that I look forward to during the summer for all of the different events happening around town. This year I partook in as much as I could, including two days at the actual fair grounds and figured I’d do a recap of some of my favourite things.

Pancake Breakfasts
It doesn’t matter what day it is, you can find a pancake breakfast somewhere. Since I had booked off Wednesday morning, parade day, I decided to take Liam to a pancake breakfast downtown before the parade. It was one of the best breakfasts I’ve been to with apple pancakes, candied pork belly and homemade syrups (Liam chose peach and I went for the bourbon infused something. All I heard was bourbon). It was amazing, so good that Liam stole most of the bacon.

I ended up missing my all time favourite breakfast due to another event at the same time. That one features pancakes and sausages, Opa fries and Subway pastries. Plus it’s in the same parking lot as Starbucks so I always treat myself to a beverage there too.

Parade
We found a great spot to sit and watch the parade after breakfast. It’s so fun to be able to experience the excitement of a parade through a child’s eyes. I always enjoy watching our parade but this year was extra fun. Liam’s favourite parts were the horses, especially the Clydesdales, and the marching bands.

Parade 2015And yes, he did dress in his full cowboy getup, minus the cowboy boots. Not pictured is his stick horse that I had to carry all over downtown as well.

Chilli Cook-Off
This is another event I try not to miss. The last couple years one bowl of chilli wasn’t quite enough for me, so this year I got two and holy smokes I couldn’t finish it all. I got a beer infused chilli from Troubled MonkΒ and a bourbon chilli with corn bread and maple bacon butter from Stance. Both were amazing.

The Little Red Barn
This is my first stop every year when we go to the grounds. It’s basically a petting zoo full of animals and Liam loves to run around and pet all the goats, sheep, donkeys and alpacas. This year I thought it would be fun to let him feed the animals so I bought some food but ended up getting swarmed by all of the animals with both hands full and no way to defend myself. It was quite the sight as the goats were jumping up on me and one got it’s foot caught in my pocket. I thought I was going to lose my shorts.

IMG_2782Here’s the blurry evidence of my animal attack.

Food
What’s a trip to the fair without indulging in some greasy fair food! The first night Liam and I shared a grilled cheese and nacho tater tots from Chedda Heads, lemonade from KJs lemonade, fried pickles and of course mini donuts.

Rides
This was the highlight for Liam hands down. I thought breaking it down over two days would enable us to see and do more so we did the rides the first day and planned to take in the shows on the second. Turns out he had far too much fun on the rides, that was all he wanted to do after the Little Red Barn.

Westerner Rides

Shows
There’s so many different shows and entertainers to check out at Westerner Days. We didn’t get to see as much this year since Liam wasn’t interested. I’m sad that I missed the Super Dogs as those are a highlight for me. But I did take in an Australian animal show where I got to pet a kangaroo so that made up for it a little. I actually ended up going back on my own on Saturday since I wanted to see some more things after Liam went to his dads.

Westerner Shows

Fireworks
I LOVE fireworks and was excited that Liam was with his dad on the night they were on so I could go. I’m not ready to attempt taking him yet, but maybe next year.

It’s really a great five days of fun that left us broke, fat and exhausted but it was totally worth it.

IMG_2779Someone fell asleep in the wagon…

Brie
    July 21, 2015 at 12:10 am

“Broke, fat and exhausted” – hahaha! Sounds like the makings of a great weekend tho! πŸ˜‰ I so want to bring Sully to this fair next year (I’ve been once before), the petting zoo sounds awesome – he would have loved that this year. If there was a petting zoo at the Stampede, we couldn’t find it, and we also couldn’t get in to see the superdogs as it sells out so early for each show!

July 21, 2015 at 7:20 pm

Ah that’s too bad. The Superdogs are free here! Everything is once you pay your way in. Sully and Liam could go on rides together!!

Amie
    July 21, 2015 at 8:37 am

Never actually been to westerner days but I’m looking forward to next year when Quinn is able to understand a bit more and can enjoy the sites and maybe go on a ride or 2 πŸ™‚ I’m not a big ride person myself haha

July 21, 2015 at 7:19 pm

Whoa! You’ve never been!! It’s pretty fun for the little guys, although Quinn will be too small for rides next year. This was Liam’s first year being able to go on rides. You have to be 36″ and at least 2 years old.

July 21, 2015 at 8:47 am

sounds like so much fun – and now I’m totally craving peach syrup (on anything), mini doughnuts with cinnamon sugar, and maple bacon butter, again, on anything.

July 21, 2015 at 7:18 pm

Mmmm I totally want peach syrup too. Such good food.

Kaella On The Run
    July 21, 2015 at 8:52 am

What a fun adventure!!! I can’t wait for our Whoop Up Days next month! Sadly, it’s the biggest week of the year for me as we broadcast live from the fair grounds so I won’t have a ton of time off to take London.

I would love to take London to the fireworks but 11 o’clock scares me with a toddler haha!

July 21, 2015 at 7:18 pm

Right? Liam turns into the devil if he gets woken up before he’s ready so I can’t imagine what it would be like waking him for fireworks. Maybe next year I’ll be brave enough to chance it.

Sam @ Better With Sprinkles
    July 21, 2015 at 9:32 am

hahaha ‘broke, fat and exhausted’ — thats how you know you had a good time.

July 21, 2015 at 7:17 pm

Hahaha, right?!

July 21, 2015 at 11:12 am

I much prefer smaller fairs/carnivals than say… Stampede. (If I’m being honest, I didn’t like Stampede, haha)

I want mini donuts!!!!!

July 21, 2015 at 7:17 pm

I agree with you in a sense. Especially now having a child, bigger fairs are A LOT to take in at once. Even this one there is so much to see and do that it can be overwhelming. Small towns are awesome and generally not so crowded AND they still hand out candy at their parades lol

July 21, 2015 at 9:21 pm

Looks like so many fun things to do! I didn’t partake in any pancake breakfasts this year and I really wish that I could have. I’m impressed that Liam fell asleep sitting up!

Tawnya Faust
    July 22, 2015 at 4:13 pm

Sounds like so much fun! I know when whoop up days comes here my favourite is going to all of the pancake breakfasts around town, it’s a good way to get out and about early in the day and I don’t have to worry about cooking us breakfast πŸ˜‰ Also the petting zoo LOL the animals are always crazy in there, Scarlett get’s so nervous and I can’t say I blame her with the sheep trying to eat her hair and goats knawing on her clothes LOL

July 23, 2015 at 7:50 pm

SO much fun!!! This sound awesome and better that Stampede cause it’s not quite as nuts!! I wish we had more of a petting zoo, I need to find one. All the food sounds so good.