Getaway In The Mountains

July 13, 2015

Good morning. As if Monday’s aren’t hard enough, today I’m back at work after a wonderful week off. M parents, Liam and I packed up and hit the road out to Invermere, British Columbia for the week. It was a super relaxing little getaway and I can’t say I was excited to leave.

With a toddler in tow, there weren’t too many firm plans in place for the week, just going with the flow. We rented a condo for the week so we could cook our own meals rather than eat out all the time. Even though we didn’t get a break from cooking, it was nice to be able to save on restaurant bills and not have to worry about constantly making Liam behave in a restaurant. Honestly, we spent more time at the condo than we normally would on a holiday due to Liams naps but even that was a-ok with me. I was happy to have a week away from work, from blogging and never-ending to-do lists, to just do whatever I pleased.

Invermere Pt2

We spent a lot of time at the nearby beaches, letting Liam swim and splash in the water, building sandcastles and collecting rocks and sticks. I rented a stand up paddle board for a day and had a nice long paddle during Liam’s nap one day. There was lots of lakeside yoga, reading and blowing bubbles.

Invermere Pt1

We checked out a couple of local attractions. One was a fun park with bumper cars, mini golf and a petting zoo. We were only interested in the animals since Liam wasn’t big enough for bumper cars and wouldn’t have the attention span for mini golf yet. We all enjoyed checking out and feeding the animals there. Liam had no fear when it came to feeding the giant emu. That thing was terrifying! We also drove up to Panorama to take Liam for a pony ride, since he’s been talking about wanting to ride a horse for months. He was having a cranky day though and refused to get on the horse even though he was so excited to go.

Invermere Pt3

I also managed to enjoy a lot of my two favourite things, coffee and beer. The first thing I saw when we rolled into town was a microbrewery that had just opened and I made sure to stop on my first night to check it out. Conveniently located across the street was Kicking Horse Coffee. Needless to say, I enjoyed plenty of BC beer and coffee on the trip.

Invermere Pt4

And of course, no trip to the mountains is complete without some wildlife spotting! On the drive home we came across some road construction and as we were stopped this Grizzly popped out of the ditch, wandering down the road checking out the traffic. I was worried for the flag guy and some cyclists who were approaching but luckily the bear continued on his way.

Being in Invermere reminded me how much I love the mountains. I live so close to them but I don’t get out to enjoy them nearly as often as I’d like. I was not ready to come home to the noise of the city and could have stayed out in the quiet of the wilderness for much longer. I have my sights set on visiting Waterton next as I’ve never been and it looks amazing. I’m hoping I’ll be able to take Liam out there in the fall.

Where was your last getaway?

April
    July 13, 2015 at 8:03 am

Waterton is amazing! Love that place. We used to camp and hike there all the time. Haven’t been since kailey was born though. Don’t know how good the hotel options are.

July 13, 2015 at 7:35 pm

AWesome! I just can’t believe I’ve never been!

July 13, 2015 at 8:15 am

Waterton was amazing. It is a rather sleepy town, I’m not sure how many fun, kid-friendly activities there are (aka: no zoo) but there are 2 ice cream shops! We stayed at the Waterton Lakes Lodge, comfy beds, with mini-fridge and microwave, reasonably priced (booked through hotels.com and found an additional promo code on the airmileshops website). It’s beautiful, though; with a good mix of easy and challenging hikes.

July 13, 2015 at 7:35 pm

This makes me even more excited to visit!

Amanda
    July 13, 2015 at 8:51 am

That looks like an awesome getaway. You’ll love Waterton. It’s so amazing, definitely one of my very favourite places. It’s so quiet there, lots of wildlife and great stars.

July 13, 2015 at 7:34 pm

What more could you ask for!

July 13, 2015 at 9:30 am

What an awesome trip! SO glad you got to get away and nice that your parents were with you so you could have a break at times too! I agree renting a condo is such an awesome option! Love all your yoga pics!

July 13, 2015 at 7:34 pm

Yes, definitely handy to have a couple extra pair of hands around to help with Liam. Thank you!

laura @ scribbles and sass
    July 13, 2015 at 9:34 am

bear! omg.

it looks like you had a fantastic vacation!

July 13, 2015 at 7:34 pm

Thanks! Definitely a great escape!

jen @nutcaseinpoint
    July 13, 2015 at 10:03 am

that is a SWEET snap of the bear! I’m still waiting to spot a moose in canada. I feel like it’s a right of passage

July 13, 2015 at 7:33 pm

You’ve never seen a moose?! There used to be a family of them that lived on my parents land so it wasn’t uncommon to walk to the bus with a moose staring at you.

Brie
    July 13, 2015 at 10:31 am

Sounds like a wonderful vacation! Sometimes these quiet ones are my favourite – just a chance to get away from it all. When I went to New York, my friend and I joked that we could have gone to a hotel in some unknown town and still had a good time (we were desperate for some along time haha!). That’s too bad about the pony ride – silly toddlers, they’re just too unpredictable! I love Kicking Horse coffee – so awesome that it was so close to you!

July 13, 2015 at 7:32 pm

Honestly, anywhere away would have been good since I don’t get to travel like I used to!!

July 13, 2015 at 11:44 am

Welcome back!! Sounds like a great week, I always want to see a bear and never do, of course only from a car lol.
    The pony ride sounds like A and the paddle boats but much less dramatic. Silly toddlers!

July 13, 2015 at 7:32 pm

The bear sighting was pretty cool. I’ve seen a few, but never a grizzly.

Kaella On The Run
    July 13, 2015 at 4:01 pm

YES!! Let’s take the boys to Waterton!! 🙂

July 13, 2015 at 7:31 pm

How fun would that be!! I’m in!

July 13, 2015 at 9:36 pm

Sounds like the perfect getaway!

Nicole
    July 14, 2015 at 1:41 pm

Sounds like a great holiday to me! The ones where you aren’t running around doing a million things and can just relax are my favourite right now!

That grizzly was close!! I would have freaked!!

Your yoga poses are amazing!!

We’ve stayed in Waterton before- family trip with the ILs. I think we stayed at a BnB? Or maybe it was a super small hotel. It is definitely a sleepy town. The guys went on a long hike and the girls went on a horseback ride! It was fun!