Random Sensory Play

Easter Sensory Bin

March 31, 2015

It’s hard to believe that Easter is just around the corner. I remember last Easter with snow still on the ground at my parents house. It’s SO nice that we’ve had a milder winter and earlier spring this year. No complaints whatsoever.

Easter Sensory Bin

Since Liam is still talking about Santa, I thought I would try to get the focus over to the Easter bunny instead. One way to do that is with a new Easter sensory bin. Liam loves hunting for eggs in the beans and collecting sparkly bunnies and Easter eggs in his little Easter bucket. I think the best part about this bin is the bunny egg dipper that I found at Michaels. The eggs and bunnies were table scatter found at the dollar store, along with the bucket. The materials cost me under $10.

IMG_1329(I didn’t end up using the pom poms)

After I made this bin, Liam came home early from his dads. I was in the middle of meal prep for the week and hoped that he would be entertained long enough for me to finish up without having to turn cartoons on. I am happy to report that I was successful. These beans provided over an hour of play and continue to be one of the first things he goes to each day.

Some people have asked me how I get Liam to keep the beans in the container. I thank my amazing day home provider for being the first to introduce Liam to sensory bins like this and being stern with her rules. At her house, if you spill beans you clean them up and if you make a mess the beans are closed and you aren’t allowed to play with them anymore. Same rules apply at our house. Liam just got his beans taken away because he made a huge mess (which is a rarity) and refused to clean them up. They learn the rules fairly quickly if you stay consistent.

Easter Sensory Bin

I am excited to let Liam paint eggs for Easter and take him on an Easter egg hunt. These holidays are just way more fun with a toddler!

Any Easter activities in store for your little one this week? Do share!

jen @nutcaseinpoint
    March 31, 2015 at 6:44 am

I loved easter egg hunts when I was little! Almost every year on easter we were either camping or in vegas (some family lives there) so it was an extra special treat to look in new places for eggs. Can’t wait to be able to do the same with a little one–and hoping the beagle doesn’t find all the eggs first.

March 31, 2015 at 5:47 pm

Aw! So fun that you were always out of town. Easter eggs hunting was my favourite too. I’m excited for Liam to do it again this year!

March 31, 2015 at 8:28 am

I love all your bins! Can’t wait to do some myself. I am so excited for a hunt for D this year, I think she will get it and love it! It’s hard to find things for put in those eggs that aren’t too small for her or all just candy!!

March 31, 2015 at 5:46 pm

You should make some! They are great. Last year I didn’t put anything inside Liam’s eggs and I probably won’t this year either. I always hunted for real eggs that I painted as a kid so I want to do that for Liam this year.

March 31, 2015 at 10:43 am

So much fun! It is amazing how well littles can have if they have rules. I will start sensory beans as soon as A won’t eat the items!
    We will do an egg hunt on Sunday morning inside the house and on the deck. Since I cannot really put much instead the eggs for her it will be Cheerios or just empty as I think just picking up the eggs will be fun for her!

March 31, 2015 at 5:45 pm

Totally. Liam had fun last year looking for eggs but I don’t think I put anything inside.

Brie
    March 31, 2015 at 10:57 pm

Aw, love this Easter themed bin. I don’t have anything planned for Easter this year – I feel like Sully is still too young to really do anything with lol. I will have a little gift basket for him, but that’s probably it.

nicole
    April 1, 2015 at 7:00 pm

This looks like so much fun!!!