Fitness Tips & Advice

How To Yoga From Home

March 27, 2015

Someone asked me the other day how I do yoga from home. This is often a question I ask other yogi’s who practice at home as well. I’m not knowledgeable enough to be able to create my own flow and therefore turn to a few different outlets to get my flow on at home. I thought I would share with you some of the resources I use (or have used) personally for my practice.

How to Practice Yoga At Home

1) DVD’s – I feel like this is kind of an old school method, but there are tons of DVD’s out there. I personally pop in the Jillian Michaels Yoga Inferno and Yoga Meltdown, which aren’t really ‘true’ yoga. There’s tons of different videos to choose from which can be overwhelming.

2) CodyApp – I just recently learned about CodyApp thanks to Sara. There are tons of top yoga instructors who have created plans and bundles to help you succeed. This goes beyond yoga as well, which is really cool. Basically you pay for your plan and you have unlimited access to it on your computer, tablet, phone etc. I’ve downloaded Kino McGregor’s Ashtanga Primary Series ($39.99), but am looking at buying Sadie Nardini’s Yoga Shred for Weightless and Megan Currie’s Yoga Intelligence bundles. So many cool options!

3) The Breathing Room online videos – this is the studio I practice at locally and they’ve recently added online videos to their website. This option is available to pass holders and is a really great way to stay caught up if you miss your favourite class. Check out your own studio to see if they offer online classes as well.

4) Reflexion Yoga – This is another studio based out of Colorado. I stumbled upon their online classes from another blogger (Simply Nicole) last year and LOVED their online videos. They offer more power yoga and yoga with weights for a really good yoga workout. They’ve even put together a couple different programs to follow to help transform your body, shrink your waist or get more flexy bendy. The yearly subscription was under $100, videos are great quality, the instructors have great humour, and the men are pretty nice on the eyes. If power yoga or yoga with weights is what you’re after, I definitely recommend giving this a try. They offer a free 7-day trial which is great to get a feel for the types of classes.

5) YogaGlo – this is another subscription based website. It’s $18/month for a few thousand videos at your fingertips. Whether you want to focus on one particular area, or only have a certain amount of time, there’s probably a video for you. And at the price of one drop in session, it’s a pretty good at home resource. I ended up cancelling my subscription after a few months because I became overwhelmed with all the choices. I like to have a plan laid out for me that’s easy to follow and I found that in Reflexion Yoga, so I decided to focus on one site instead of bouncing between both.

6) YouTube – There are TONS of free videos on YouTube. Often if you search your favourite instructor, they will have a page swimming with videos. No favourite instructor? Search whatever kind of yoga you are hoping to practice and be rewarded with tons of different options.

I oftentimes wish that I could just flow as I go, but I know I don’t have the knowledge base yet. What are your favourite resources for getting your om on at home?

jen @nutcaseinpoint
    March 27, 2015 at 7:35 am

I have only done prenatal yoga at home. I have to admit, I’m a sucker for Hot Yoga because I just.love.to.sweat.

March 27, 2015 at 10:08 am

Great post. I actually love the yoga from the new 21 day fix extreme and thought of you! I do like those 2 Jillian ones you mentioned also. They are much more upbeat that typical yoga I find. I do love hot yoga but haven’t been since before I was pregnant with D.

Fiona @ Get Fit Fiona
    March 27, 2015 at 3:03 pm

If you like Kino Macgregor’s primary series, you can get printables of the primary series. I use it a lot when I’m doing yoga at home.

March 28, 2015 at 12:44 pm

That’s a good idea too. Thanks for the suggestion.

Brie
    March 27, 2015 at 8:56 pm

On the rare occasion I do workout at home (or yoga at home), I usually resort to a workout I already own on DVD. I did do one on youtube the last time though, but I found it took me more time to find one I wanted to do then the actual workout! I much prefer to go to a class for yoga, but I don’t always like the price 😉

March 28, 2015 at 12:44 pm

That’s why I disliked YogaGlo. It took me FOREVER to decide on something to do. Obviously I would prefer to go to a class also, but my situation doesn’t allow me to get there very often.

Tawnya Faust
    March 28, 2015 at 4:51 pm

These are all great resources, Becky!! I NEED to get into yoga more, I may check some of these out! and thank you for linking up with us this week! XO

March 28, 2015 at 5:54 pm

Thank you Tawnya!!

Another one to check out is DoYouYoga.com. I just learned about it after posting this! It’s a FREE resource with tons of yoga programs. So cool!

Amy
    March 30, 2015 at 6:34 pm

This is such a great list of resources! I really, really reaaalllyyy need to get into yoga… such a healthy form of fitness! Thanks for posting!

I found your blog thru the Saturday Spotlight!

March 30, 2015 at 6:39 pm

I’m so glad I found yoga as something I enjoy doing from home. Glad you found me, thanks for stopping by!

Amber
    April 1, 2015 at 9:13 pm

I really admire your at-home yoga practice! I have tried to foster a home practice before but I’m so bad at it. I just really love going to yoga at the studio!!

April 2, 2015 at 7:06 pm

Thank you! I really love being at the studio too. However, I just can’t get there regularly so I have to make do!