Random Tips & Advice

Lessons Learned From Practicing Yoga

March 17, 2015

I’m super pumped that Sara turned her Namasaturday feature into a link up. Even though I’m a couple days late this week, I am definitely going to make an effort to join in regularly. Since taking the yoga & journaling workshop a few weeks ago, I’ve been feeling the pull to share more about my experience with yoga with you guys and what better place to do so then here.

I don’t often get to the studio to practice, but when I do I always come out learning so much, whether it’s some ancient yogi wisdom, some tips to improve or a whole new pose to work on. The other day in class, Sam said something about yoga being a practice. Of course I  knew this, but she went on to say that life is the real deal. It was a good reminder that what we learn on our mats doesn’t have to stay on our mats, to apply those lessons to every day life.

lessons learned from practicing yoga

I’ve learned a lot of lessons throughout my yoga journey. These lessons are what keep bringing me back to yoga and keep me on the path of becoming the best me that I can be.

1. Patience – This is something that I’m still continuing to learn and is much needed. I’m definitely a person that struggles with patience in all aspects of life. I especially struggle with not being able to do something well right away, which is where I am really learning in yoga. I want to be able to do all the challenge poses now, but know that these things take time to build the strength, balance and flexibility.

2. Ego – This goes along with that quest to learn all the challenge poses. Sometimes my ego gets in the way and I think I can do something that I clearly can’t. I’ve taken some nasty tumbles thinking I can do pincha, which I very clearly can’t. However, I’ve also been able to get into some poses I didn’t think I was able to do. Which brings me to my next lesson.

3. I am stronger than I think. Sometimes my ego thinks I can do things that I’m not quite capable of, because I see other people doing them and I want to be at that level too. But sometimes I don’t give myself enough credit for the things I can do. Sometimes I’m afraid of falling out of a pose and am too afraid to try. It’s when I take a deep breath and take a chance that I’m surprised at what I really am capable of, and that I am stronger than I think.

4. Slow down. Rushing through poses, and life, does no good. We can’t do anything properly on or off our mats if we are rushing through it. Breath deeply, move slowly and intentionally always.

5. There’s no such thing as I can’t. I just can’t do it yet. In the last class I attended, we did the beginning steps to get into eight angle pose. This is not something I had ever attempted before and was something I definitely wasn’t able to do. Yet. I know that if I intentionally keep practicing, I will be able to get into it and hold it successfully. It could take a couple weeks, it could take a couple years, but it doesn’t mean I can’t do it at all.

If yoga is a practice

What lessons has yoga taught you?

Amie
    March 17, 2015 at 9:03 am

Yoga has taught me so much about being present in the body I have now vs the body I wish I had/used to have/want to have. It’s a humbling awareness. Sam is my faaaaaavorite teacher 🙂

March 17, 2015 at 7:44 pm

That’s a good one and something I definitely am striving to learn myself. Sam’s so great, I want to go to more of her classes!

jen @nutcaseinpoint
    March 17, 2015 at 9:32 am

Oh, it’s totally taught me to be aware of my body and it’s abilities. I was so against even trying yoga for the longest time, but when I moved to Calgary a few years ago, I finally decided to give hot yoga (conveniently, a great studio is just around the corner) a try, and I absolutely LOVE LOVE LOVE it. I can’t wait to go back!

March 17, 2015 at 7:43 pm

That’s so great! I’m glad you gave it a chance. I think yoga would be so beneficial to so many people in today’s society. We all need to learn some of these amazing lessons.

March 17, 2015 at 9:36 am

Loved this post, friend.

Yoga has taught me (particularly Bikram) that even though the practice is the same – I’m different each time I show up on my mat. I always learn something new about myself each class.
    One time, a teacher told me, “You won’t know unless you try” – and I remind myself of this whenever I’m faced with uncertainty or challenges.

March 17, 2015 at 7:42 pm

Thank you!

That’s very true. That was a big reason why I loved doing Bikram and why I really want to dive into the Ashtanga Primary Series, to see just how much each time on my mat is different, even though I’m doing the same series.

March 17, 2015 at 9:39 am

Such a great post. I never really gave yoga enough of a chance. I for sure think a teacher can make or break a class. Add that to my list when I come spend the weekend with you! 🙂 ha Yoga class!!

March 17, 2015 at 7:41 pm

Very true, yoga just isn’t any good if you don’t like the instructor. I’ll definitely take you to a yoga class on our weekend together! When are you coming?!

laura @ scribbles and sass
    March 17, 2015 at 11:33 am

ego is a big thing i have struggled with in yoga class, too. “why can he do that and i can’t?” has played in my head too many times. judging myself for not being “good enough” instead of accepting and growing in my own practice.

March 17, 2015 at 7:40 pm

That’s a tough one to overcome for sure. I totally feel you girl

Nicole
    March 17, 2015 at 12:10 pm

Yes, yes, yes!! All of these things!

How do you practice at home? I’m not very good at practicing on my own (other than my prenatal yoga DVDs) so I’d love it if you shared your tips.

March 17, 2015 at 7:39 pm

Oooh, thanks for asking this. I’ve written it down to turn into a (very near) future blog post!

Fiona @ Get Fit Fiona
    March 17, 2015 at 3:46 pm

Yoga has taught me so much too! I had a teacher comment once on how big of a change she saw in me.

March 17, 2015 at 7:39 pm

That’s awesome!!

Kelsey
    March 17, 2015 at 10:11 pm

Yoga also taught me how to BREATHE! When I’m feeling stressed or having trouble falling asleep I just fall into my deep breathing and ta-da, I feel all better.

Brie
    March 18, 2015 at 8:46 pm

I loved this post, Becky. I read it on my phone last night, but wanted to wait till I was at my computer to comment. All your posts on yoga inspire me to get back into the practice, but this one really reminded me of why I love it (and need more yoga in my life!). I have a love hate relationship with yoga. When I’m there and in a yoga class, I love it. And afterwards, I’m always so glad I went. BUT the lead up to going to a class, I always kind of drag my feet to get there. Anyway, I guess I would have to say that if yoga has taught me anything, it’s that it’s always worth doing/going to.

March 19, 2015 at 9:35 pm

I hear you friend. It’s sometimes so hard to motivate yourself to get on the mat. I struggle with that all the time. But I never regret the days I make it there, only the days I don’t.

Amber
    March 19, 2015 at 11:41 am

I’ve been practising yoga for five years now and I really think it has helped me so so much mentally and emotionally. I’m much more level headed than I used to be and am better about just letting things go. There is nothing quite like that amazing feeling after a great practice and savasana!

March 19, 2015 at 9:33 pm

So true! Thanks for sharing!