Be Grateful

February 11, 2015

begrateful

Back in October I decided instead of scrolling through my phone before bed that I was going to start reading before bed again and to start journaling as a way to unwind. Since I really wanted to focus on more positive things in life, instead of ranting about everything that bothered me, I made the intention of writing three things I was grateful for from my day, every single day. It doesn’t matter how big or small, but it’s to help get through the tough times and the bad days and see the positivity around every corner. There really is so much to be grateful for in life, every single day, every single moment.

I have to say, this is something I really enjoy doing. I haven’t struggled one bit and have definitely noticed an overall improvement on my outlook on life. I have even found that the days that are the hardest, are the days I find a million things to be grateful for and I have no trouble filling a page. I think this is an exercise that we should all practice in an effort to become a happier and more positive society as a whole. I talk a lot about healthy eating and staying fit, but I’m learning just how important our mental/emotion wellness is too.

I thought that today I would share some of the things over the past few months that I’ve written down:

– I am grateful for this day.
– I am grateful for being able to see beauty in the little things – like the way the sun hits the tree across the street, making it glow against the blue sky.
– I am grateful for the ability to roll out my yoga mat, and the strength to hold a headstand.
– I am grateful for the extra long hug at bedtime
– I am grateful for coffee
– I am grateful for Liam’s growing imagination that turns him into a kitty for the day
– I am grateful for the ability to run, even if it’s not well
– I am grateful for the rare opportunity to be lazy in bed
– I am grateful for the friendly barista injecting some extra happiness into my morning
– I am grateful for messages from old friends

What are you grateful for?
Do you keep a journal?

Jennifer
    February 11, 2015 at 7:09 am

I started a Joy Jar at the start of the year. At the end of every day, I write down one thing that brought me joy that day on a slip of paper and stick it in the jar. My plan is to read all the slips on New Year’s Eve to remind myself of the great year I had. 🙂

February 11, 2015 at 5:37 pm

Thats so awesome!

Nicole
    February 11, 2015 at 7:54 am

Such a great idea! I’ve been trying to be more grateful lately and it does wonders for your daily outlook!

February 11, 2015 at 5:37 pm

It really does. I’m so glad I adopted this into my nightly routine.

February 11, 2015 at 8:54 am

I love this. Just this week there have been so many times that I have reminded myself how lucky we are and to be grateful so the little things. I love that he turns into a cat. 🙂 I also love that photo of you!!

February 11, 2015 at 5:36 pm

Since writing that, he prefers to be a puppy, but sometimes Mr Kitty still comes out. Haha.

laura @ scribbles and sass
    February 11, 2015 at 9:18 am

i love this – focus on the positives instead of dwelling in the negatives.

February 11, 2015 at 9:30 am

love realizing and appreciating the little things; i think that really makes people more grateful in general; and more happy. lazy mornings in bed and warm sweaters and my most recent favourite things

Kaella
    February 11, 2015 at 10:21 am

I love this idea. It’s so true that focusing on the positive can eliminate the negative. I had something interesting happen earlier this week that could have turned out bad but I didn’t let it because I realized I have so many awesome things going on in my life. Love this! xx

February 11, 2015 at 10:52 am

I am grateful for my family’s health, too much sad stories out there right now so very thankful we are all healthy.
    No, I don’t keep a journal, I never have!

February 11, 2015 at 5:35 pm

So true. I’m also grateful for that. Even though Liam has suffered a lot this winter, it’s so minor compared to what others deal with daily.

Crystal
    February 11, 2015 at 5:57 pm

Yes I have kept journals since I was a teenager. What a great idea to write down what you are grateful for. I think we all need to do a lot more of that instead of complaining about stupid things.

February 12, 2015 at 6:45 am

Agreed!

Brie
    February 11, 2015 at 11:22 pm

I love this. What a great way to end your day. I’m trying really hard to not have scrolling through my phone the last thing I do before I shut my eyes at night and get back to reading in bed. But I’m thinking I should try adding this to the routine 🙂

February 12, 2015 at 6:45 am

You should! It only takes a couple minutes and is really a great way to finish the day.

Alycia
    February 13, 2015 at 8:10 pm

love this! I NEED to stop using my phone before bed too. I always have my book beside the bed but fail to read it. This needs to change ASAP!!!