Back in October I decided instead of scrolling through my phone before bed that I was going to start reading before bed again and to start journaling as a way to unwind. Since I really wanted to focus on more positive things in life, instead of ranting about everything that bothered me, I made the intention of writing three things I was grateful for from my day, every single day. It doesn’t matter how big or small, but it’s to help get through the tough times and the bad days and see the positivity around every corner. There really is so much to be grateful for in life, every single day, every single moment.
I have to say, this is something I really enjoy doing. I haven’t struggled one bit and have definitely noticed an overall improvement on my outlook on life. I have even found that the days that are the hardest, are the days I find a million things to be grateful for and I have no trouble filling a page. I think this is an exercise that we should all practice in an effort to become a happier and more positive society as a whole. I talk a lot about healthy eating and staying fit, but I’m learning just how important our mental/emotion wellness is too.
I thought that today I would share some of the things over the past few months that I’ve written down:
– I am grateful for this day.
– I am grateful for being able to see beauty in the little things – like the way the sun hits the tree across the street, making it glow against the blue sky.
– I am grateful for the ability to roll out my yoga mat, and the strength to hold a headstand.
– I am grateful for the extra long hug at bedtime
– I am grateful for coffee
– I am grateful for Liam’s growing imagination that turns him into a kitty for the day
– I am grateful for the ability to run, even if it’s not well
– I am grateful for the rare opportunity to be lazy in bed
– I am grateful for the friendly barista injecting some extra happiness into my morning
– I am grateful for messages from old friends
What are you grateful for?
Do you keep a journal?