I mentioned a few weeks ago that I was going back to a paleo focused diet. I haven’t been 100% paleo, because let’s face it, cheese is super hard to give up and sometimes I just need some bread and pasta. But I would say a good 80% of my diet the last couple months has been paleo. I also took advantage of a local farm that sells vegetable shares, who had some extra inventory and offered share for the last part of the growing season. After having picked up Amie’s share while she was on holidays, and having a good idea about the quantity of vegetables I would received, I jumped at the chance. I now pick up my half share every two weeks, which provides me more than enough vegetables to last until the next share. I’ve been having fun trying new things and testing new recipes. I love that I have fresh, locally grown vegetables in my fridge at all times now. I will definitely be buying a share next year!
That said, I’ve been asked what some of my meals look like so I thought I would share what I’ve been eating lately.
– Pumpkin Blueberry Pancakes from Practical Paleo (which Liam loves to help make)
– Farm eggs with goat cheese (not strict paleo, but the most delicious), with peppered bacon (when I have it) and fresh fruit from the market
– nuts! I’ve bought a few different bags from Costco
– Pumpkin Blueberry muffins from Pratical Paleo
– Pumpkin fudge from OMG That’s Paleo (yes, pumpkin everything!)
– fresh fruit from the market
– Usually always dinner leftovers
– Roasted vegetables
– Sweet potato fries
– Glazed or seasoned chicken – I’ve been loving thighs and drumsticks as a change from chicken breasts. My favourite recipe is the mustard glazed chicken thighs from Practical Paleo
– Smoky Bacon Chilli from OMG That’s Paleo
One thing I’ve been doing a lot of is buying whole chickens and using the leftover bones to make chicken broth for soups to stockpile in the freezer. So far I’ve made:
– Potato, Bacon and Leek Soup
– Butternut Squash Bacon Soup
– Chicken Soup
I’m definitely going to miss the end of the markets and the end of my vegetable share. It’s been so much fun experimenting with new things and taking advantage of all the local produce there is!
What have you been eating lately?