Fitness

Better Pumpkin Coffee

August 27, 2014

It’s hard to believe that summer is quickly fading. The temperature’s are quickly dropping, fall fashion has me craving a new wardrobe, and Starbucks has released the Pumpkin Spice Latte early. I soon have to start preparing to turn another year older, planning a 2nd birthday party and deciding what I’m dressing my toddler as for Halloween. Time, please slow down!

I’ve recently made the decision to return to a paleo diet after different recommendations from both my doctor and my chiropractor (who I rely on more than a doctor most days, she’s so knowledgeable). This means I will be eliminating dairy, grains, legumes and sugar from my diet in attempt to level out hormones, and release some of this extra weight I’ve been holding onto. I don’t plan to be 100% strict, but will definitely be more aware of my choices. After my blood tests coming back clean, I know that my focus now needs to be on exercise and a clean diet. That means my coffee too.

While I love Pumpkin Spice Latte’s as much as any other white girl out there, I know that they are just empty calories and go against the paleo diet. My drink of choice is always a straight black coffee or Americano, so when pumpkin season rolls around, I ask for one pump of pumpkin syrup in my Americano. All of the pumpkin flavour, with none of the latte guilt.

There you have it, a better way to enjoy pumpkin coffee.

pumpkin-spice-ecard

What are your favourite ways to clean up an unhealthy treat?

August 27, 2014 at 9:02 pm

Good good you. My willpower to eat better and clean these days is non existent. Urgh. I like using Stevia vs sugar, Greek yogurt in baking and adding.extra veggies to any dish.

August 27, 2014 at 9:04 pm

It’s SO hard with limited time to cook and wanting to just spend time with Liam instead.

Tawnya
    August 27, 2014 at 11:00 pm

My drink of choice this time a year… Grande (2 pump pumpkin) soy americano misto. It cuts the milk and sugar in half 🙂 still not great but better than the latte! Good for you for going back to the paleo diet! I need to clean up our eating too this fall!!!

August 28, 2014 at 7:15 pm

Ooh that sounds good too!

Christy
    August 28, 2014 at 12:30 pm

David’s Tea makes a pumpkin chai tea that tastes just like a pumpkin spice latte. I kid you not. And all it is is tea and water, zero calories! I sometimes add a little almond milk to make it creamier but it doesn’t really need it.

August 28, 2014 at 7:14 pm

Interesting. I may have to check that out next time I’m in the city (no David’s in Red Deer). I’ve looked at that before but am not a flavoured tea fan most of the time so wasn’t sure I’d like it.

Nicole @ Squash on Squash
    August 30, 2014 at 6:15 am

I do the same thing! It’s sweet enough for me with just the Pumpkin syrup, so I try to stick to that. Ahh I can’t wait for pumpkin spice to come back!

September 4, 2014 at 4:13 pm

Try sprinkling pumpkin spice over your black coffee. I love that. I do cinnamon and all spice all year round. But pumpkins spice is delish!! Good for you for going paleo again for YOU! I hope it helps!! You should post meals!! I need help planning meals.