Family Fitness

12 Months Post-Baby Body Exposed

October 17, 2013

I have to be honest for you, for a healthy living blogger I feel I’m failing big time. I know some of you have been wanting to know how things with my nutrition coach have been going and what my meal plan has been like. I got a two week meal plan with more than enough cheat meals, it’s easy to follow and I should have great success with it. But I’m not. Now that I’m back at work and Liam is spending nights with his dad, I feel like my life is more chaotic than ever. I don’t always make it to the grocery store when I run out of things for my meals. I don’t always have time to prep my meals. I end up booking appointments at lunch and forgetting to bring my lunch. I’m just doing a terrible job at planning and my eating has gone out the window.

I also had these grand plans of hitting the gym 5 days a week since I have lunch breaks to go sweat it out. But the reality is that my lunch breaks are full of appointments, lunch dates with friends I don’t get to see and I’ve hardly made it to the gym at all. This isn’t to say I eat like crap every day and never work out. I try to stick to my meals as much as I can and I still aim for at least two days of Crossfit a week. But over the past year, this hasn’t brought me the results I want to see. I know that if I eat cleaner and workout harder I would have a better chance of getting closer to my pre-baby body. I still have a long way to go to get there.

But I was inspired by Katy Widrick to celebrate what my body has done the last year instead of picking apart everything I don’t like about my new body (that seems like it’s here to stay).

– My body grew and nourished a perfect little boy for 10.5 months (damn overdue baby!)
– My body nearly made it through labor unmedicated, until I needed an emergency c-section.
– My body healed from surgery without complication
– My body fed Liam for eleven months
– My arms carry my nearly 25 pound baby with ease
–  My legs allow me to chase after my busy toddler, run 25km in obstacle races this past summer and deadlift almost 200 pounds.
– I have healthy skin, nearly perfect teeth, and long, healthy hair (even though I found my first grey last week)

Despite my c-section scar, stretch marks, a tummy that’s no longer flat, and being a couple pant sizes bigger, it’s amazing what my body was and is still capable of. I know that I will find my groove again. I’m getting my meal plan revamped, no more paleo, to make it a bit easier to manage. I will start making time to workout at home the nights I can’t make it to the gym. I will learn to love this body of mine even more.

October 17, 2013 at 11:25 am

Thank you for sharing this! And you are very right you have TONS to thank your body for. I think you look awesome. You are doing great so do not be too hard on yourself.

Bex
      October 17, 2013 at 7:20 pm

Thank you, this was a hard one to hit publish on.

October 17, 2013 at 3:21 pm

You look awesome! I love you list of how awesome your body IS!! And you are right it has done and can do a ton!!

October 17, 2013 at 3:59 pm

I don’t think you should feel like you’ve failed as a healthy living blogger. You carried and delivered a healthy baby boy and that is something to be proud of! Plus, this is real life. Weight doesn’t just come off magically (although some ladies make it seem that way!) and it will take hard work. But it WILL happen! 🙂 I think you are awesome 🙂

Bex
      October 17, 2013 at 7:21 pm

Thanks Leigh!

NIcole
    October 18, 2013 at 11:34 am

Thanks for the reminder. I’ve been down on my body lately but it’s doing an amazing thing so I have to give it a break.

I also wanted to say that the first few months going back to work is chaotic (and even more so in your case) so just try to make life as simple as possible until you do get that groove back. I remember being so incredibly exhausted the first couple of months that I could barely stay awake in the evenings. Soon your body will adjust to your new routine and you will find new energy to do all that prepping and meal planning and working out.

Diana
    October 28, 2013 at 9:48 pm

I hope you already know that I think you’re incredible, that I think your body is an absolute wonder (both because it’s always been beautiful, way back when and this very second), and that I admire you to no end. But just in case… I love you, my friend. You are brave and wonderful and powerful, and you inspire the hell out of me. <3

beckya
      October 29, 2013 at 7:28 pm

Thanks, Diana. I love you too. I’m thankful to have you as a friend still and to uplift me with these little messages. <3