Family

The Boy Who Cried Wolf

October 8, 2013

Perfectly healthy kid after breakfast.

Yesterday I received a call from my day home that Liam was too sick to be in care and that I needed to come pick him up as soon as possible. After his ear infection on the weekend, I didn’t think this was an unreasonable request and I could hear him crying in the background. When I got there he was lethargic, upset, burning up and snuggled into me as soon as I picked him up. He really didn’t look good, poor kid.

We got home, I gave him his antibiotics and some Tylenol for his fever and put him down so I could try to stuff some lunch into me before an afternoon of sick baby snuggles. He began running around the house babbling away, pulling things out of the kitchen cupboards, throwing toys around and generally acting like his normal, healthy self. Seriously? What happened to the kid who was too sick for day care and why did I rush out of work to spend the afternoon at home with a perfectly healthy kid.

Faker.

Perfectly healthy kid, playing hooky

Today I’m stressed to the max. Every morning I drop Liam off it becomes harder to peel him away from me and he cries more and more. I can see that he isn’t adjusting yet and I’m worried about him. On one hand he spent 11 months at home with me all day, every day and it will take him awhile before he gets used to not being the centre of attention and being around so many other kids. Add in starting to spend two-three days a week with his dad, teething, a cold and now his ear infection. Does he still need more time to get healthy and get used to our new routine?

Perfectly healthy kid, playing with his friend

But maybe this day home just isn’t right for him. Maybe he needs to be somewhere that has less children so he can receive more attention. How long do I wait for him to adjust? How will I know if he will ever be comfortable somewhere that’s not home with me? How many more times is he going to fake sick?

Moms: advice?

Non-moms: Ever fake sick to get out of something?

Danielle
    October 8, 2013 at 1:07 pm

Not a mom, but speaking as a someone who grew up in a dayhome (my mom ran a day home), it just takes some kids longer to adjust! Some little ones Liam’s age cried every day for like a month and then suddenly just stopped one day (sometimes they even started crying when they had to go home instead). Most of the time though they’d cry for a bit and then they’d completely forget about it and have fun playing with the other kids etc. If he can tell that you aren’t comfortable with the situation or you have anxiety about it then he is probably picking up on that too. I totally think it’s just an adjustment for him and at this point he’d probably cry if you left him with almost anyone. In a few weeks, I bet he’ll be totally fine! I hope you figure out what it best for you guys! 🙂 xo

Bex
      October 8, 2013 at 5:28 pm

I’m hoping that it’s just the cold and teething and ear infection that are making him take longer to adjust! Time will tell…

Tina
    October 8, 2013 at 2:04 pm

My experience with running a dayhome is that it takes about a month, maybe even a little bit longer with little guys, for them to adjust. He’s going through a whole bunch of changes right now, it will probably just take him a bit to see that this is the new norm. I’d give it a bit more time at the dayhome (while healthy) to see how he does and try to keep the rest of his routine as consistent as possible at home/dads.
    That being said, almost a year ago you were given a super power called “Mommy gut” and although it sounds like a distant relation to the muffin top, it’s not. If your mommy gut feeling is that he might be better suited to childcare with more one on one time, then follow that feeling.

Kaella
    October 8, 2013 at 2:31 pm

Trust your gut mama!! If the day home doesn’t feel like a good fit… Try and find another one!

October 8, 2013 at 4:50 pm

Poor Liam! But he is a smart boy 😉 I wish I had advice on the day home, but I hope he adjusts sooner rather than later for the sake of you both.

Bex
      October 8, 2013 at 5:26 pm

I can’t believe how smart he is! I hope he adjusts too. I don’t want to have to go through finding another day home!

Nicole
    October 8, 2013 at 7:04 pm

Oh I’m having déjà vu of my first return to work! It’s tough adjusting to the new routine for sure. Audrey wasn’t adjusting to the first day home after 4-5 weeks. I think it was a personality clash between her and the provider though. The current day home she loved from the very beginning. They do get more one on one time I believe and I think she just meshes better with the provider than the last one. She usually doesn’t want to leave which is hard for me but also makes me happy that she enjoys her time there. I say give it a full month before deciding, unless there are obvious warning signs that he is in danger or hates it.

Audrey did that one day at our first day home too. Grandma had to go get her since J and I couldn’t leave work and she was fine after she was picked up. I think it was a combo of teething, and a cold.

Bex
      October 8, 2013 at 9:06 pm

I’m kind of glad to know someone has been through something similar so thanks! Especially the fake sick thing!! What smart little people they are!!

I’m hoping to leave him a few more weeks and see what happens but I’m worried that with too many kids and not getting the one on one time or any cuddles it might not be the place for Liam. I hope that’s not the case because I love that she makes all her own, completely organic food, uses essential oils and natural cleaning products, no tv, lots of outdoor time and she’s relatively cheap compared to most places. It will be hard to find another like her.

Nicole
    October 8, 2013 at 9:43 pm

Yah it’s a tough but I think the daycare transition is hard no matter the age. Sounds like a great dayhome but ultimately if your child isn’t happy those other things aren’t as important. Our first dayhome seemed perfect but A just wasn’t adjusting and the woman didn’t know how to deal with her so it would never have worked out. We have to provide all of A’s meals at the new dayhome which is a huge pain, she’s out of the way for us but A loves it there and we knew it was a better fit within the first week.

You will know fairly soon if it will work out. Hugs!!