Family

Three Weeks

November 5, 2012

It’s going to get repetitive with me saying this, but I can’t believe Liam is three weeks old today. Still feels like yesterday that I was going into labor.

This week has been more ups and downs. Nursing still hasn’t shown any improvement since getting Liam’s posterior tongue tie clipped. He still won’t latch without the nipple shield and it still takes hours for him to finish. It’s exhausting, especially at night. During the day I just plant myself on the couch watching Gilmore Girls. I started the series from the beginning. I thought things were getting better when I had Liam fed and asleep in less than an hour one night but it was obviously a fluke since it hasn’t happened again since. I keep persevering because everyone says it will get easier.

I’m still afraid to venture out in public with Liam in case he wakes up hungry. For one using the nipple shield seems to be a messy thing. If L stops nursing and the shield is full, we end up with milk everywhere. I’m also completely uncoordinated under the nursing cover and I’m afraid with the constant switching of sides that I’m going to flash a lot of people. I try to have a bottle of pumped milk handy if I venture out but I don’t always have the time or capacity to pump enough for him. I hope that nursing in public will also get less terrifying as Liam starts to nurse better (if that ever happens).

We started to try out cloth diapers this week as well but haven’t found much success there either. I’ve put a few different kinds on him but they all end up leaking somehow. Luckily no poo leaks so far but we have wet many cute outfits. I’m not sure if I’m doing something wrong or if he’s just too small for the diapers I have right now. Any cloth diapering mammas out there have any advice?

Aside from the feeding and diapering woes I have thoroughly been enjoying my snuggle time. I could honestly sit and cuddle him while he sleeps forever, such precious moments. Liam’s also started smiling a lot this week which melts my frustrated, exhausted little heart.

Whenever he is awake or we are out and about, he is so chill and well behaved. I’ve really got lucky in that department.

20121105-192330.jpg

Before I know it I will be writing a one month birthday post!

Rachel
    November 5, 2012 at 8:33 pm

I’m a cloth diapering momma! We started using bum genius 4.0 diapers at 2 months. I heard that they fit well from 10 pounds but personally I didn’t think they fit well on Henry until he was 2 months. I think it depends on the leg thickness. I would say wait a few more weeks and try again!

My best friend had a tongue tied baby and she had to use a nipple sheild too. If you want to talk to her about weaning off the shield, I would be happy to give you her email! I know she would love to help out another momma.

Bex
      November 5, 2012 at 9:30 pm

I feel like the various diapers I have SHOULD fit, because they are one size and super adjustable. Liam is close to 10 pounds already so he’s not really a small baby. I’ll keep fiddling and see if I can’t get it to work.

And yes that would be great to chat with your friend. I can’t have too much advice! Thank you Rachel 🙂

Also I never did get to comment about our similar names. I’ve been reading about William John for months and never really put it together that it was so similar to what we were planning. We had Liam John picked out since we knew we were having a boy. So weird!

Rachel
        November 6, 2012 at 2:34 pm

Great! Can you email me and I’ll give you her email? She said you could text her or call her too. I just don’t want to post her info on the internet! rae.johnny@gmail.com

Leah
    November 5, 2012 at 9:21 pm

Leaking can come from a variety of issues, depending what your using. All cloth takes a good 4-6 washes before it gets to max absorption. If he is smaller than 8 lbs, most cloth won’t work well, usually leaks. Ans 3rd, check for fit, or if any of your “stuff” whether prefold or interior part of diaper is touching his clothes, if so he will leak. It does get easier, I promise…I had a difficult time nursing as well. A HUGE gash formed from nursing my first, from a crack, it ended up opening right where her top gum line would clamp on, making it worse. Took over 3 months to fully heal…and second baby and I got thrush…2 months of terribleness. But it will get better, and nursing gets easier. Keep on keepin on!

Bex
    November 5, 2012 at 9:35 pm

Ugh. That sucks about your nursing issues Leah. And thank you for the diaper tips. I think I just need an expert to show me the ropes. But perhaps I will just wash them a whole bunch more and make sure the insides aren’t sticking out and hope that will help things. I will definitely be coming to you if I have more questions. Thank you, thank you, thank you.

Allison
    November 6, 2012 at 3:44 pm

3 weeks already, wow, time is already going by so quick! he’s such a little handsome devil though!