Pause

November 2, 2011

It’s no secret to those who know me that I’m not a huge fan of Christmas. I dislike that it’s become a three month long commercial holiday without the meaning it once had (this whole losing touch with holidays seems to be a trend lately). To me, Christmas is about spending time with my family, baking together, cooking together, playing games, and enjoying the winter holidays together. My families Christmas traditions are what’s important, not making sure I have the perfect tree, that my decorations are out first and are nicer than my neighbors.

It bothers me that Christmas starts taking over the stores before Halloween has even had a chance to have its moment in the spotlight. Obviously (as seen by the three lengthy Halloween posts), Halloween is my favorite holiday so I get frustrated when Christmas takes over too soon. But even more frustrating is that the moment Halloween is over, Christmas is out in full frenzy. We forget that there’s another important date between Halloween and Christmas that we need to take more time to recognize.

Remembrance Day.

November 11 is more than just a paid day off and a chance to sleep in. It’s a day to commemorate the Canadians who died in the line of duty since the First World War. As a society so disconnected with reality and more connected to technology and commercialism, it makes me sad that we don’t have more respect for an important day. We need to push pause on the holiday commotion, and understand, appreciate, and be thankful for the men and women who have served for our country in times of war, conflict and peace. Perhaps no one in your family has been involved in any of the wars, but there are nearly 70,000 active personnel and nearly 1,000 people deployed in the Canadian Forces. Every single one of these people are sons, daughters, brothers, sisters, mothers, fathers, husbands, wives and friends to others.

A 26 year old soldier from Lacombe was recently killed in a suicide bomb attack while serving in Afghanistan. This man was a husband, a father of two, and a friend to many in the community. It’s easy to tune out the news and forget what is happening across the world, but losing someone from a neighboring town brings me back to reality.

Christmas can wait 11 days until Remembrance Day is over. Instead let’s take the time to remember Canada’s soldiers and be thankful for the people that serve for our country.

Lest We Forget

Tami
    November 2, 2011 at 8:58 pm

It would be nice if they retail outlets held off the Christmas decorating etc until after Nov 11. Its my favorite holiday but its gettng so that by the time Christmas day does comes I am sick of seeing and hearing about it.

My pet peeve about Nov. 11 is that people just use it as another long weekend to get tanked. My dad was a was vet and he quit going to the Legion on Nov 11 for that very reason. He found it very disrespectful. I have nothing against going and having a drink or 2 but not sit there until you cant walk and think that its just another excuse for a party.

Keep those blogs coming I love reading them. 🙂

Allison
    November 2, 2011 at 9:46 pm

christmas stuff comes out WAY too early, its not really necessary.. i agree with what you are saying

Diana
    November 3, 2011 at 5:03 am

Also a reminder to question how history is presented to us. How often do you hear about Aboriginal soldiers? Answer: never. I always remind people that November 11th, in addition to honouring vets, is an opportunity to ask ourselves how we feel about the ethics of war, how it is represented in the way that we cast our votes in elections, and what our perspectives in history are. I urge everyone to use their imagination (and perhaps do a little research if you’re feeling up to it) and try and find out about more than just the national mythology that surrounds Canada’s Remembrance Day. Try and find out about some unsung heroes and different historical/national perspectives.

Alexis
    November 3, 2011 at 8:17 am

I really agree with this post! The commercial can wait, we must remember those who fought for our people and protected them!

A. Parent
    November 4, 2011 at 10:00 am

My question to alot of people is “What do you do with this day off?”
    How many attend the local Rememberance Day ceremonies in their city or town? Don’t want to leave the house? Did you know The official national ceremonies are held at the National War Memorial in Ottawa and can be seen on just about every major TV network in the country?
    It’s great that people stop and pause a minute to remember but why not take it a step further. Take in one of these ceremonies, maybe talk to one of the veterans (young or old) and thank them in person for the sacrifices they make. If you can’t do that, at least take an hour, maybe pour yourself a cup of coffee or tea and watch the ceremonies on TV. See the pride that many of the men and women still have in their eyes. Watch how the still march proudly along the parade route, maybe even with a cane in hand. Wonder what horrors some of them must have seen at such a young age. How has their experiences effected the rest of their lives and the lives of their famalies?
    Now, go and enjoy the rest of the day, because you can!

Margaret
    November 4, 2011 at 8:58 pm

Here in Nova Scotia, its not a paid holiday, but all big stores close in rememberance of those who have gone before us protecting our freedom

Karen Morgenweg